Solar Projection

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fallingstar1971

I was out in back of work the other day discussing my telescope when I decided to try some solar projection for the first time.

I removed my finder and used the telescopes shadow to aim it, held a cardboard circle out about a foot from the eyepiece and voila! Instant sun. Found two sunspots.........

My co-worker was impressed, but not as impressed as to what I did next........

Me: Now, want to see what happens when your stupid?
Co-Worker: Ummm, what do you mean?

I moved the cardboard right up to the eyepiece and it instantly caught fire!

"It took just a fraction of a second for the cardboard to literally burst into flames, and your eye is a lot more delicate than that."

Less than 1 second. Thats how long people. Never ever look directly into the sun without the proper filters. Done properly, the projection method is one of the safest I know for solar observing.........

Never leave an unattended telescope out during the day. Even if there are no kids around, its just too dangerous. There is no time for a second chance, if you see the sun through an unfiltered eyepiece at ALL then its too late and you just lost an eye.

Less than a second.....thats all it takes........

Either spend the $$ on a full aperture filter or project using the shadows to aim......

But no matter how you do it, be SAFE, and be RESPONSIBLE. A telescope is a wonderful tool, but like most tools, used improperly it could lead to SERIOUS injury.

ttfn

Star

M

MeteorWayne

That demo is an excellent idea. I intend to set up a solar projection setup on my next duty session at the NJAA (a Sunday afternoon), of course standing guard the whole time. But that demo should get the attention of anyone pondering something not too bright...or rather far too bright.

We also have anothers scope with a full aperture filter, and another with a H-a filter, but to me, having a foot wide projection of the sun makes it really real.

S

SpaceTas

Hint: use an old eyepiece; the eyepiece can collect a nice smoke sample

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts