Solar System Exploration Roadmap

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonClarke

The new Solar System Exploration Roadmap for NASA's Science Mission Directorate is now available on the LPI's website:<br /><br />http://www.lpi.usra.edu<br /><br />or at<br /><br />http://www.lpi.usra.edu/vexag/road_map_final.pdf (<b> Warning! 6+ MB file!</b>)<br /><br />The Roadmap defines recommendations for the exploration of the solar system to bodies other than the Moon and Mars over the next 30 years, and is drawn for a 30-year planning horizon, against the backdrop of the Presidential Initiative "The Vision for Space Exploration," and provides flexibility by offering a number of distinct scenarios that will meet the science goals with staggered project initiation dates. <br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Q

qso1

Thanks for this excellent link. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

It's good to see Venus surface missions back on the agenda.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

jmilsom

I just had a quick breeze through, but won't be able to read it thoroughly until next week (I have a paper due on Friday). It is good to see prioritisation of life potential targets (i.e. Europa, Titan, Triton). The prospect of returning to Venus is exciting.<br /><br />Where does further Mars exploration figure into all of this? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

Mars, the Moon, and astronomy all have (or will have) their own road maps.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

jmilsom

Great! Thanks. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

I agree. I'd like to see a U.S. or ESA Venus lander in addition to Russian ones. I didn't get to look the map over yet. I'll try to do that tomorrow night as I need time to read it over half way thouroughly. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts