Something strange is going on with the North Star

Something's up with the North Star, a cepheid. Its distance, mass and age should be easy to measure. But new calculations keep disagreeing with one another and failing to make sense.

Something strange is going on with the North Star : Read more

"Researchers haven't yet made detailed observations of a full circuit by Polaris B. But they've seen enough of the companion star in recent years to have a pretty detailed picture of what the orbit looks like. With that information, you can apply Newton's laws of gravity to measure the masses of the two stars, Neilson said. That information, combined with new Hubble Space Telescope "parallax" measurements — another way to calculate the distance to the star — lead to very precise numbers on Polaris's mass and distance. Those measurements say it's about 3.45 times the mass of the sun, give or take 0.75 solar masses. That's way less than the mass you get from stellar evolution models, which suggest a value of about seven times the mass of the sun."

Okay, very interesting for stellar evolution modeling. Next, the Cepheid distance ladder in cosmology :)

Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
Something's up with the North Star, a cepheid. Its distance, mass and age should be easy to measure. But new calculations keep disagreeing with one another and failing to make sense.

Something strange is going on with the North Star : Read more
To me this just points out that the current idea that you can calculate stellar distances using the "Stellar Evolution Model" is way off. I can see so many areas in that model where things can go wrong. There is too much "assumed".
I have a feeling we will see many more upsets in the field of Stellar Astronomy and Cosmology as most of their previous ideas of facts were based on that "Stellar Evolution Model"

earth is flat

The space.com report did say "combined with new Hubble Space Telescope "parallax" measurements — another way to calculate the distance to the star".

Okay, what is the diameter of the flat disk earth, and how far above the flat disk earth is the North Star where it is assumed to be at the center? Remember, Hubble obtained a stellar parallax and this indicates the flat disk earth is moving around the Sun :)

Latest posts