Sound "spicules" on the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sloracer

Shortly after reading the post in this section about sound in space, I got a newsletter from Spaceflight Now that describes how scientists have investigated those constant, variable jets that are visible on the Sun.<br /><br />"We developed a computer model of the Sun's atmosphere to show that the periodicity of the spicules is caused by sound waves at the solar surface that have the same five minute period." <br /><br />The complete article is found at:<br /><br />http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0407/28plasmajets<br />

N

newtonian

Slowracer -constant variable! Sounds unsound! Actually a sound post! Shocking (waves)!<br /><br />Thank you for the link.<br /><br />Did you realize that it had earlier been discovered that the solar corona is heated by magnetic fields that float to the solar surface from the interior, caused by a magnetic dynamo possibly very deep in the solar interior caused by ions in motion?<br /><br />Did you know that the solar corona is much, much hotter than the solar surface due to these magnetic fields?<br /><br />I wonder if the sounds on the surface are also caused by these magnetic fields?<br /><br />My take on the link:<br /><br />Wow - 50,000 mph to 3,000 miles elevation in <5minutes! And 100,000 of them “at any given time.” 300 miles in diameter. Occurring in some cases every 5 minutes in a typical location.<br /><br />Caused by sound waves at the solar surface, converted to shock waves which drive the spicules.<br /><br />The spicules carry 100 times the mass of the solar wind into the solar corona (= higher solar atmosphere).<br /><br />They don’t know how much the spicules actually contributes to the mass of the corona that goes to the solar wind - research ongoing. Ditto the shock waves influence on the corona.<br /><br />Well, I’ll be interested in further data and models for cause and effect.<br /><br />Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts