Source for John Clark's Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drwayne

I have mumbled about this in other places, but there is a fascinating and classic book called<br /><br />"Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants"<br /><br />It is an utterly fascinating book on the long and winding road the liquid propellants have taken. It is not out of print, but I found that you can get a reprint through UMI Books On Demand.<br /><br />http://wwwlib.umi.com/bod/fullcite?id=148917<br /><br />The paperback binding is simple grey, but the colorful nature of the work overcomes that easily.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

Don't mean to hijack, but this seemed an appropriate place to ask.<br /><br />Would you knowledgable folks like to recommend one book to the novices like myself on rocketry? It might be a historical book or perhaps a technical book (not too please!).<br /><br />Just one book that would fire the imagination of the 14-year-olds mentioned in the 'Goodbye' thread receiving attention today. One book that every self-respecting space aficionado should have on the shelf for reference or enjoyment, assuming he/she can only afford one book right now, or perhaps got a book token for Christmas.<br /><br />Perhaps we won't agree on one book, but hopefully we can narrow it down to a few hum-dingers that the community needs to know about.<br /><br /><br />Cheers,<br />SK <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

D

drwayne

The nice thing about Ignition is that you can read it at a couple of levels. There is a fair amount of chemistry in it, but if you want, you can ignore the details of the chemistry, and focus on the process and the history, and still have a great read.<br /><br />That babbling aside:<br /><br />Are you thinking more along the lines of the history of space exploration, or more along the technical lines?<br /><br />As a kid, I read "We Seven", and a book on Gagarin, but that is probably passe today. I have a soft spot for "Chariots for Apollo".<br /><br />Still thinking...<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Are you thinking more along the lines of the history of space exploration, or more along the technical lines?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I'm not sure. Perhaps I was too optimistic to think it could be narrowed to just one book, a 'rocket follower's bible' if you will.<br /><br />I was just thinking about the discussion between Yevaud, news, and others over at S&A concerning 'educating' the young ones and the novices about science.<br /><br />As most know, I have a real amateur interest in the rocketry side of this Forum. I thought it might be useful for some of the wiser heads to kick around a few book titles for the rest of us. Titles that will add to our appreciation of the subject, even if we have no desire (or hope in Hades!) of getting into the field.<br /><br />Sorry, I know that doesn't really answer the question, but I hope you can see what I'm driving at. I'm sure there are many kids who tune in here with book tokens to spend after Santa's visit.<br /><br />Let's see if the power-readers have some favourites we could all benefit from putting into our bookcases. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

P

propforce

Well.. I have not read it but I'd imagine the book where the movie "October Sky" was based on would be a really good one to read. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

drwayne

Not a book, but (to me) a classic collection of posts:<br /><br />http://yarchive.net/space/index.html<br /><br />I *love* some of the discussions on fuels - utterly fascinating stuff<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts