Space 'elevator' to the 🌒 moon

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Jun 1, 2020
So, if I used Nubes Larum, would I be making a reference to a Cloud Cuckoo (pronoun)?

Given the recent soccer (football) score, y'all might not want to use Latin in hopes of greater perseverance next time. *wink* :)

Catastrophe

The devil is in the detail
So, if I used Nubes Larum, would I be making a reference to a Cloud Cuckoo (pronoun)?

Given the recent soccer (football) score, y'all might not want to use Latin in hopes of greater perseverance next time. *wink* :)
Should be nubes larum terram

"So, if I used Nubes Larum, would I be making a reference to a Cloud Cuckoo (pronoun)?"
Yes, I think you are just translating word by word. It does not carry the meaning of the original Greek story.

It is like translating the words "Treasure Island" into Vietnamese. They would justifiably understand something to do with an island where there is (or may be) treasure. The original English would immediately evoke the novel rather than the general meaning.

Cat :)

Actually larum means seagull. I don't know whether cuckoos existed in Ancient Greece.

"CUCKOO" TRANSLATION INTO GREEK
EN
"cuckoo" in Greek
volume_up
cuckoo {pr.n.}
EL
volume_up
cloud-cuckoo-land {noun}
EL

"κούκος" is just transliterating (as in koo-koo)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020
Ok, I think I see your point. I seem to have a different aesthetic feel for it.

"Cuckoo" is synonymous with "nutty" or "nuts" or "loco" (local Hispanic touch), though I haven't heard it used in a long time.

Then there is the element where a Cuckoo bird adds to the connection to "cloud".

We all have heard of cuckoo clocks, and what nuttier clock is there to those?

So there is a recipe I see here where adding a "cloud" (where birds fly that is also very nebulous) with "cuckoo" -- something nutty and also a bird -- coming out of the clouds, along with the alliteration element as well, just seems to click for me.

Oh, and then there is the element of, "I'm cuckoo for Coco Puffs!", may be a factor as well. :)

The "land" part in the original Greek muddies the English cloud, so I like "Cloud Cuckoo "only.

Perhaps this post is from Cloud Cuckoo.

Catastrophe

I don't know whether you have cuckoos in the States?

The name comes from the bird's call, which sounds very like 'cuck-koo'.

I am not sure where the 'stupid' reference comes from? Perhaps the repetition?

May 14, 2021
We don’t have cuckoos here in North America, but it’s common knowledge here, because of the clocks, I suppose. Some people here don’t realize we don’t have them here, the term is so common. The spelling seems to imply that it’s pronounced ku-koo, not sure the British pronunciation, here in the U.S. we say koo’koo.

Mar 25, 2021
I recall a novel I read some years ago in which an elevator was built of carbon fiber, three cables braided together. Then saboteurs bombed about 30000 or so miles up, the lower portion fell down, wrapping the Earth about 1 1/3 times killing millions of people all along the equator and untold property damage, not to mention the ecosystem. Don’t remember where the upper section went.
Possibly Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Mar 25, 2021
Red Mars is the first of a trilogy (which I have, but have not read). Does this elevator occur in the first (Red)? If so, I will move it up my 'read list'.

Was in the first one.

"During the Mars revolution, the Red Mars novel graphically depicts the effects of a catastrophic space elevator failure, when the cable is severed in orbit. "

Catastrophe

Was in the first one.

"During the Mars revolution, the Red Mars novel graphically depicts the effects of a catastrophic space elevator failure, when the cable is severed in orbit. "
Many thanks for kindly supplying that info. I have the book and hope to get to it within the next couple of months. I have too many books to read and know it is one of trilogy (Green and Blue) so read no. 1, read nos. 2 and 3!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS