Space fetishism: space activism’s obsession with technologic

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boris_Badenov

This article is about us!!!
Space fetishism: space activism’s obsession with technological and ideological saviors
You don’t have to spend much time at space activist conferences or reading the comments on space blogs or discussion groups before you start to notice certain patterns. Very quickly you will recognize that certain people, or groups, have specific issues that they care passionately about, and they repeatedly advocate the same technological or ideological solutions to the problems that they think are most worthy of attention. They fit two of the three definitions of fetishes—things that space activists believe contain supernatural powers, and/or things that they have an abnormal fixation upon. There’s an old saying that when all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail. A good corollary to this is that when you idealize your hammer, you look for things to pound.
Technology fetishism
With only a little bit of effort, it would be possible to produce a long list of examples of technologies that individual space activists are obsessed with and believe are the solution to different problems. At the top of this list is space solar power, which many space activists currently believe is a solution to… well, just about everything: global warming, the high cost of gasoline, poverty, Middle East instability, and terrorism. Build solar power satellites, some activists believe, and most problems in the world will be solved.
[snip]
Now many of these technologies have some merit, and there is justification for spreading some development money around in order to see which ones can bear fruit. These technologies are not inherently invalid or stupid, but their enthusiastic advocates often dramatically overstate their utility, and ignore political or economic reality. Quite often, they are advocates talking to themselves, and failing to convince anybody outside of space activist circles.
[snip]
But more to the point, many of these technologies have limited respectability even within the space R&D field, where engineers and managers are focused on near-term problems and technologies that can serve more immediate needs. Several years ago I read a blog commentary where somebody proposed in situ resource utilization (ISRU)—turning atmosphere into fuel—as a “solution” to a Mars sample return mission. But if you talk to the engineers who devote their time to Mars sample return, ISRU is a solution to a problem they don’t have. Their problem is not reducing the amount of propellant that they need to carry to Mars, but finding a way of protecting the propellant that they carry during a long cold soak in the extreme Martian environment. ISRU is unproven and highly challenging. It is not something that they would add to a mission that already has a large number of technology challenges. ISRU is a potentially highly beneficial technology, but not the kind of thing that any sane engineer would insert into an operational mission until it had been developed and tested on its own. To the people who work in the field, it is not a solution, but a diversion. To the activists, ISRU was a magic technological capability that they reflexively applied to a proposed Mars mission.
[snip]
The Holy Grail
It’s worth repeating, because some readers will undoubtedly not get it: this is not an argument of absolutes. Commercial spaceflight approaches can be good. ISRU could be useful. Fuel depots may provide expanded spaceflight capabilities. VASIMIR may someday revolutionize interplanetary travel. And space solar power may be worth at least some further study. The point is not that these technological and ideological fetishes are all false, but that they are applied by activist advocates with too broad a brush, based on a belief that they are so inherently good that they will work beyond their technological niche, or in areas where they are not really suited. Commercial spaceflight may be a better approach in many areas than what NASA is currently doing, but not in all of them, and overselling its virtues can actually discredit it. And unless it aligns with what the government and its agents (like the government-supported science community) actually need, then it will not be adopted. It will be a solution in search of a problem.
That hammer may be useful, that hammer may be cool, but it is certainly not the only tool with value, and pounding away with it too much may ultimately be self-destructive.

D

DarkenedOne

Good take on the matter, however let me ask you this question.

Which one do you think is better to have in space exploration? People who are optimistic and are willing to pursue innovative and possibly game changing technologies or people who are pessimistic about these technologies, and are thus unwilling to spend even miniscule amounts of money on them.

To many people including space activists it is clear that no real meaningful non-robotic space exploration will be achieved through current technologies and conventional approaches. They simply cost to much, and are thus politically unfeasible for even countries with large space budgets like the US to fund. Evidence for this fact is clear today. Today we are attempting to go back to the moon using much of the same technologies and techniques used over 30 year ago in Apollo just on a larger scale. Despite over 30 years of technological advancement it is even less economically feasible today then it was several decades ago. It is painfully clear that if getting to earths nearest neighbor is this costly and difficult than it is clear to practically everyone that if humans are to ever leave the planet and travel to places like Mars and beyond than it will have to be with technologies that make a significant departure from the norm of today's technologies.

This reality causes people to look to unconventional and somewhat radical technologies that in theory could change that reality. The problem many people including myself have with NASA is that they would rather spend hundreds of billions doing things almost in the exact same way as they did in Apollo, than spend a few billion on potentially game changing technologies.

So my question to you is why spend so much time and money on investing in conventional technologies when you know without a doubt that they are simply unable to allow humans to explore the universe in any meaningful way.

G

Gravity_Ray

Boris I'm embarrassed to say that I am one of those dreamers who thinks that solar energy from space is the holy grail of our civilization and will help us go into the future, and "believe is a solution to… well, just about everything". So I was a bit embarrassed to find out that I'm considered a bit of a fetishist :oops:

DarkenedOne":2x1egtjt said:
So my question to you is why spend so much time and money on investing in conventional technologies when you know without a doubt that they are simply unable to allow humans to explore the universe in any meaningful way.

;) My brother is a lawyer and he would call this a "very very" loaded question and one that will not be allowed in a court of law. However, since this is a court of fun I'll comment.
Space technology in the past 30 years has been an incremental increase, with every now and again a burst of advancement. So you keep trudging along at a snail’s pace until something moves you forward a bit. Apollo was a burst because of where it was in time and space, since then the space community has been making slow advancements (very slow due to lack of funding), and we had one more burst with Spaceship One, I’m talking about the slow re-entry that Mr. Rutan innovated.

Humans will explore our solar system at some point (if our civilization does not come to an abrupt end). The problem that we all have is that it’s not going to be in our life time. But I am hopeful it will be in the life time of our grand children.

My question to you then is what you are going to do to change that behavior you mentioned in the original quote.

M

moonfie

Ah, well, you've got me there. I tend to be very guilty of many of the things outlined in the original post.

I'm obsessed with private industry now, because like many people I'm beginning to realize how limited NASA is as a government entity. Although private industry has as many, if not more, financial troubles than NASA, I feel like they have a lot of freedoms NASA does not have and therefore might be able to accomplish what NASA so far has not, and I find that very exciting. I'm still rather young (24) and hold out some hope that there might be a Mars landing in my life time. Even if there isn't, I'd like to get the ball rolling at least. I think private industry has the capability to get things moving again, and that's why I support them.

As for space-based solar power, I'm all for it, but I admit to being a bit skeptical. A few years ago, though, I was completely convinced that helium-3 from the moon was the greatest thing since the proverbial sliced bread and was surely going to single handedly save civilization. Now I still think it's a nice idea, but I like to think I'm a bit more pragmatic about it :)

K

kelvinzero

DarkenedOne":3s1wiimw said:

I have seen no technology that is near promising interstellar travel yet. not for any amount of money that exists.

You must also consider the possibility that if all the experts with their decades of experience do not do what you consider obvious then it may be that your impressions of what is plausible are not correct.

Conventional ( probably including VASIMR ) are currently by far the most promising and can probably allow us to visit all these worlds. (there are about 400 with a diameter greater than 100km)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_So ... ts_by_size

We have a long way before bothering to try though. Until we can conquer worlds like the moon, mars, phobos and ceres it really isnt worth worrying about any others. Conventional propulsion is certainly sufficient for these worlds and the trick will really be turning sunlight, rock and ice into habitats and potatoes.

T

tampaDreamer

What's sad is society's intolerance for spending on advancement. It seems we are willing to spend only a pittance on advancement and we spend most of our money on masturbatory consumer b.s..

A

aaron38

But if you talk to the engineers who devote their time to Mars sample return, ISRU is a solution to a problem they don’t have. Their problem is not reducing the amount of propellant that they need to carry to Mars, but finding a way of protecting the propellant that they carry during a long cold soak in the extreme Martian environment. ISRU is unproven and highly challenging. It is not something that they would add to a mission that already has a large number of technology challenges. ISRU is a potentially highly beneficial technology, but not the kind of thing that any sane engineer would insert into an operational mission until it had been developed and tested on its own.

While I understand the point of this article, it's too myopic in focus. Sure, we can send enough fuel to Mars to fly back a load of rocks and ISRU is not strictly required. But we can't send enough fuel to return a manned crew, even if we do figure out how to keep the hydrogen from boiling off. ISRU is critical to keeping the cost of a manned mission within reach. The whole point of using ISRU on a sample return mission, where failure IS an option, is so that the technology is developed and flight proven when it's time to put lives on the line.

If we do sample return the old fashioned way, then either we'll need a separate unmanned Mars mission as a test, or we send a human crew with untested hardware, and what sane engineer would do that?

It's not fetishism to use an unmanned mission to prove technologies for future manned flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts