Space History Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

My brother the Mercury program junkie has been visiting SDC, including the Area 51 Follies thread! He has suggested creating a Space History Forum out here, which is actually a good idea. What do Y'all think? Hello, moderators!

D

doublehelix

I've moved this to Community Talkback, which seems like a more appropriate place for this.

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

It's not a bad idea, though in the past much of this was covered in M&L threads.

It's worth pondering....

J

jim48

MeteorWayne":kspc554v said:
It's not a bad idea, though in the past much of this was covered in M&L threads.

It's worth pondering....

I'll tell my brother that you and the other movers and shakers are seriously pondering! ;)

M

matthewota

sci.space.history is still active on the usenet, and folks like OM keep the loonies out. Jim Oberg posts there, too.

D

drwayne

One problem that I see (and has been borne out by history here) is there are a lot of good suggestions
of the form:

"It sure would be nice to have a forum on XYZ"

They are good suggestions, and they make a lot of sense. But we can't implement all of them.
(Or even a substantial fraction) without getting an excess.

This hurts me too, as quite a bit of the time, I see threads that are in the wrong forum, but I am not sure
what qualifies as the *right* one. :(

One suggestion that I might make would be to have a "General Space Discussion" forum, which could
catch the questions about space, the discussion about why's and how's that don't really fit in either
M&L or Space Business. This would appear to give space history threads a place to go.

That thought is only 1/8 baked though...

Wayne

R

R1

drwayne brings up a good point.

I don't think we should have an excessive number of forums, because then the slightest variation leads
one to seriously wonder if the thread is in the right place altogether.

When pouring an ounce of history into space,
my mind becomes a little tongue tied, also. Tha Mayans, I Ching, many former presidents, 20th century UFO sightings,
and so many other things from across the galaxy would have to be moved to the history forum. Even the space shuttle is about
to become history too, before too long.

(One suggestion I have for you jim48 is to let your brother join if he wants and have him post himself, btw.)

M

MeteorWayne

In general we've put such posts on Space Science and Astronomy, or Missions and Launches as appropriate.

D

doublehelix

MeteorWayne":9ll5yvjn said:
In general we've put such posts on Space Science and Astronomy, or Missions and Launches as appropriate.

We can also alter the description of one of the forums to make it clear that historical topics can be discussed there.

-dh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts