Space Image Archives

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

o_rion

Hi I use the ESO Hubble ST data archive for many of my amateur space images published (21 images) on the ESO users gallery. But I waste a lot of time and their resources receiving either the wrong type of image or the type of image I cannot use. For example WFPC2 are generally in 4 plane images. So I have to do a lot of small Nebula, which are on a single chip plane. Or look for Hubble ACS camera images. <br /><br />Is there a thumbnail reference site of Galaxy or Nebula images, which are documented in terms of their location and their images database? You see a lot of good images, which are not accessible from the HST data archives for example the Dumbbell Nebula seems to be from a ground based image and the FITS data is not published? The DSS image is not clear enough for me to use. The DSS Swan Nebula is greatly overexposed and has little gas cloud detail. <br /><br />The problem for me seems to be that the image databases are quite correctly set up for expert use and seeing the image and referencing to the correct data file can be done by a JIPA preview. The problem is I cannot use many of these as they are in a 4-image format, which need stitching together or they are research images, which are not photogenic i.e. not “pretty”.<br /><br />Is there any interest in a “swap shop” archive for image data as once the FITS files are processed and recovered you only need a fraction of the data to be able to process the images. The ESO librarian is also not keen to set up a “stitch service” for amateur users. I have asked.<br /><br />I was looking at the DSS Digital sky archive and so far the image quality is generally not good enough to make passable results.<br /><br />I use Adobe Photoshop Element 2 and the ESO free Liberator v2 Plug in with Windows XP. I am not clever enough to make a PC, which runs on Linux etc. <br />PS one of my ESO Web images attached. This image was created with the help of the ESA/ESO/NASA Photoshop FITS Liberator.<br />

N

nevers

Hi O - <br /><br />Wow - that's one big picture! Ok, I'm not sure about the question. Is this what your looking for?<br /><br />NGC/IC Public Database<br /><br />Oh, by the way - Welcome to SDC!

O

o_rion

OOPPPSS<br />Hi Brad<br />So Sorry I forgot to check the image size I was more comcerned about the 100K limit <br /><br />I have tried to use the site you suggest and here is my problem I only see the Messier Number like M17. I don't know yet where to find the info for the NGC ref. But will keep trying. Looks interesting and will try to make the link<br /><br />Anyway here should be a smaller image sorry to scare you all, it made me jump when it popped up, no preview utill too late I guess, I must check this in the futre<br /><br />Looks a well used site <br /><br />O

O

o_rion

Brad<br /><br />Looks a cool site you have <br /><br />I have no telescope so I rely on the work of the professionals and the Hubble space telescope etc<br /><br />I realised a while ago I would never get the cash together and never be able to match the images that the Hubble can take <br /><br />I see you are into the space image photography<br /><br />What you may like to look at is the info and free software to be able to take images with several wave length different filters and merge the image back to sort that the Hubble take. I don’t know how to do this I just use the data files and make some of the images you see on the site <br /><br />There is a site attached which has all this info and this is where I started the "image bug"<br /><br />http://www.spacetelescope.org/bin/fitsimages.pl<br /><br /><br />If you have a look on the site at what the latest image is you will see what I am on about. The image is a private one I think of the M17 Swan Nebula and when I go into the public image archives I can find nothing which matches the beauty of this image<br /><br />Perhaps the guy has access to a pro telescope??<br /><br />Who knows <br /><br />All the best<br /><br />I like your scopes <br /><br /><br />O <br /><br />This image was created with the help of the ESA/ESO/NASA Photoshop FITS Liberator<br />

O

o_rion

Brad <br /><br />Thanks I accessed the data base (using a NGC I do have for the cats eye nebula NGC6543 ) it is part of the info trail but it has no FITS image files listed, but gives the background to the object location I will use this to find out more about the location of objects of interest.<br /><br />Thanks again <br /><br />Best<br /><br />O <br /><br />

N

nevers

Hi O,<br /><br />Hmmm? Try these links. It's for downloading fits images with a planetary program called HNSKY (Hallo Northern Sky)<br /><br />SkyView<br /><br />or<br /><br />ESO Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts