Space & Live Science Forums request

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene

Hello DH and SpaceAdmin,

Now it has been about 18 months since Imaginova in its infinite wisdom severed our Live Science forums from our Space Science forums. (A Decision I still disagree with.)

I have a simple request:
Can you please make a quick link button for jumping with one click from the Space forums to the Live Science Forums and vice versa ?
- and could you also make sure that clicking repeatedly between on forum and the other doesn't force you to have to login in again in either forum? (I hate having to re-login everytime I re-open SDC forums)

I know many of the people who primarily or even exclusively use this Space forum have a broad interest in science beyond astronomy, and are very interested in Life Sciences. And I know many people who primarily or even exclusively use the Live Science forum have a broad interest in science beyond biology.

Can we at least make it easy to one-hop navigate from one forum page to another?

(or is it, and I have just missed the one easily click button do-hicky somewhere on the webpage?)

I think if we had a one-clicky button to hop back and forth without having to re-login, we might be able to bring a lot more traffic into Life Sciences and vice-versa!

M

MeteorWayne

AMEN!

The disconnect between SDC and Live Science has been one of the most dumb Imaginova has made.
IMHOWIOCR, of course :)

D

doublehelix

Hey guys, I hear what you're saying. Let me see what I can do.

-dh

S

silylene

DH, thanks.

I also think if you could install a quicky single-click link to Live Sciences, that a button of small banner or something that would call people's attention to it would also be good.

I'd like to get some cross-site traffic !

(And please make sure we don't have to re-login each time! One single master login should work for both forums. This is why I stopped visitng Live Science mostly. But maybe this was an issue unique to me with my messed up handle and name issue ?)

D

doublehelix

silylene":1zquptu6 said:
And please make sure we don't have to re-login each time! One single master login should work for both forums. This is why I stopped visitng Live Science mostly. But maybe this was an issue unique to me with my messed up handle and name issue ?)

Well, it's set up now as separate logins. That is not going to change any time soon. We had to make a decision about this when we de-Plucked, and that was the result. I do not want to give you false hope. I know that one of the developers is looking at the login issue, but it has turned out to be a giant bug (he's spoken directly with the phpBB guys, too, so they are aware of it, along with a bunch of other boards out there).

Anyway, I'm going to let this mull around in my head and I'll figure out a way to at least link to the different forums there from here. Not sure right now what the best way to do that is, but it will be a priority for tomorrow.

-dh

D

doublehelix

Also, silylene, for my own purposes, I have put a link to each of the forums in my bookmark bar, so each board is only one click away. I've done this on both my Firefox and IE browsers. Is this something you might consider, too? Don't get me wrong, I'm going to see what I can put together in the forums, just offering another option. :mrgreen:

-dh

S

silylene

I know, I have bookmarks too. But I like one-click! And I think this could bring back more of the cross-traffic we used to have.

A

abq_farside

silylene":1eahpufr said:
I know, I have bookmarks too. But I like one-click! And I think this could bring back more of the cross-traffic we used to have.

You could always use the tabs (one tab for SDC and one tab for Live Science) that come with a number of browsers and still have the one click option - just a thought to act as a work around. :)

D

doublehelix

abq_farside":3la41pv9 said:
You could always use the tabs (one tab for SDC and one tab for Live Science) that come with a number of browsers and still have the one click option - just a thought to act as a work around. :)

That's exactly what I do, because I have three boards that I need to read every day.

-dh

D

doublehelix

OK, everyone - I've set up the LiveScience forums on SDC - they look like subforums but are links. They are linked to the index page here in the forum. Let me know what you think and if anything can be improved (besides the single sign on, which we unfortunately can't change).

Thanks!

-dh

S

starsinmyeyes44

Thanks, dh! You're awesome!

and thanks, silylene, for suggesting this....(hugs silylene) :)

S

silylene

DH, very, very nice! thank you!

One more little request: Could you also put hyperlinks to the space forums within Live Sciences, the same way ? This could further enhance cross-traffic and bring in more members.

thank you!

D

doublehelix

silylene":14kdsu95 said:
DH, very, very nice! thank you!

One more little request: Could you also put hyperlinks to the space forums within Live Sciences, the same way ? This could further enhance cross-traffic and bring in more members.

thank you!

Sure! That's a good idea - thanks, silylene!

-dh

S

silylene

The links do work well, already used them to make a post into Live Sciences.

D

doublehelix

Awesome - thanks for the feedback! It's all set up over on LiveScience, the links back here to SDC. Same situation as here - the subforums are actually redirect links to Space.

Thanks again for the suggestion, silylene!

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Great job...now my visits to live science will incease by 1000%!

Thanx

MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts