Space mysteries: Why do Earth's magnetic poles flip?

I think a net population or a net alignment of ionic charge could account for it. The effect might be lifeforms with a left hand predominance instead of right handed. Migration paths reverse.

Just kidding.....if it has happened before.....we see no harm in it. I don't think it caused a die off. Maybe a few sunburns.

We can not confirm any explanations. Past magnetic flips come from many assumptions. The same with past magnetic amplitudes. One has to accept many, many assumptions for modern theory. And the results of any research.

Reactions: ilovespace2024
Jan 22, 2024
Visit site
I think a net population or a net alignment of ionic charge could account for it. The effect might be lifeforms with a left hand predominance instead of right handed. Migration paths reverse.

Just kidding.....if it has happened before.....we see no harm in it. I don't think it caused a die off. Maybe a few sunburns.

We can not confirm any explanations. Past magnetic flips come from many assumptions. The same with past magnetic amplitudes. One has to accept many, many assumptions for modern theory. And the results of any research.
agreed

Jan 22, 2024
Visit site

agreed

The Earth's magnetic field is most easily explained as a self exciting dynamo. A conductive fluid is caused to move across an existing magnetic field. It generates a current at right angles to the field. The current induces a magnetic field that strengthens the original field.
Why does it flip every so often? The moving fluid is rising from the solid core carrying heat upwards. It cools and descends. There are two stable configurations. One is where hot magma rises from the poles of the solid core and descends at the equator. The other is where the hot fluid rises from the equator and descends at the poles. Either scenario preferentially cools one zone and heats another. After a few hundred thousand years the convection is quenched and resumes with the opposite polarity.

Neutron stars are known for having offset magnetic fields. This is what causes their jets to sweep around so we can see them easily.
The Earths magnetic field is not just offset from the rotation axis angularly but is off to one side. The north magnetic pole is but 3° from the geographic pole, but the south magnetic pole is 26° off of the south geographic pole. This is a 2,500 mile discrepancy.
The Earth's magnetism is generated by liquid iron moving around. These flows are not evenly distributed.