space question

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harper05

Im not quite sure how to ask this question so forgive me as i try.
Does space time wrap around everything?
Does space extend around all matter or atoms in the universe? Like at the edge of our atmosphere were it meets space.
in between the atoms there is space, and as the matter gets more dense, as you get closer to the surface, less space? ive always imagined space-time wrapping around atoms, so that the space between the atoms in the center of the earth is directly connected to the space in space. like a big intricate web of space all the way through the earth, or any body of matter. Is this fact?

H

harper05

Better stated;

Does space extend through all the matter in the universe on a sub atomic level?

A

aphh

harper05":2wayrpmv said:
Better stated;

Does space extend through all the matter in the universe on a sub atomic level?

Some believe that space-time can be manipulated, but otherwise everything is indeed connected to each other. Weird phenomena exists, like superconductivity of a electrical medium, so who knows if space-time also had features or properties not yet known or understood.

H

harper05

Where is the currently understood boundry between space and earth? I have been trying to find info on this without much luck. Any links? thanks all.. :)

O

origin

harper05":3nfsvnof said:
Where is the currently understood boundry between space and earth? I have been trying to find info on this without much luck. Any links? thanks all.. :)

Space is essentially everywhere. There are many parts of space that contain matter. Earth is one such area. I would say the only difference between interstellar space and here is that there is a higher concentration of matter here, but it is still space.

Now your question can be answered in a number of ways. A commonly considered dividing line for space and the earths atmosphere is above 100 km. NASA considers anyone who goes over 50 miles above sea level to be an astronaut. Clearly there is no definite dividing line.

H

harper05

Is space expanding everywhere,
Obviously inbetween the galaxies,

but what about inbetween the atoms of solid objects?
Have we ever measured or detected this expansion?

O

origin

harper05":qtbsp11r said:
Is space expanding everywhere,
Obviously inbetween the galaxies,

but what about inbetween the atoms of solid objects?
Have we ever measured or detected this expansion?

The distance between our galaxy and the galaxies in our local area is contracting. In other words the andromeda galaxy is getting closer to us for instance. So there is no expansion to measure.

So that leaves us with 2 probable explanations:
1. Gravity overcomes the expansion so space is not expanding between gravitationally bound systems.
2. Space is expanding but the expanding space 'slides' by the gravitationally bound systems.

What this means is there is no way to determine at this point if the space between atoms or between the sun and the earth is expanding, because what we would measure (objects) are not moving apart.

Clearly, everything is not expanding equally or we would not see the expansion. Gravity, electro-magnetic and nuclear forces appear to overcome any inherent expansion of the universe.

H

harper05

Thanks Origin,
I like the second explanation, it seems more probable. Space slipping past gravitationally bound systems. Slipping through everything.

Its reminds me of machs 2nd principle, in reverse. Know what I mean, how could we ever observe the motion of space, if it slipps through or past g bound sys.

But if the expansion of the universe is causing distant galaxies to move further apart, perhaps it is not slipping past or through g bound systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts