space re-entry vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

momento

I have read that shockwaves created by the space re-entry vehicles is the actual cause of heating......<br />my question is can't we generate these shockwaves even before the vechicle comes in contact with atmoshere.....coz these shockwaves if created will help slowing the vehicle faster and also there won't be any immidiate harm to the skin of the vehicle

U

usn_skwerl

im not a scientist, but i think the shockwaves are caused by the shuttle compressing the air molecules at such a high speed. the denser the air, and/or the faster the shuttle's going, the more rapidly the molecules smash into the ones ahead of them relative to the belly, ergo higher temps on the skin.<br /><br />im not sure what the alternative would be, aside from possibly forcing liquid nitrogen to leach out of the skin through small pores, kind of like what some (at least private/charter) aircraft have for anti-icing. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jimfromnsf

Shock waves don't exist where there isn't air (like space). Shockwaves are cause by the air in front of the vehicle compressing due to the high speed.

T

thereiwas

In fact a blunt reentry shape DOES cause the shockwave to move away from the vehicle, even if only by some inches. So the hottest part of the plasma is held away from the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts