Space Shuttle may continue through next year - Roscosmos

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smersh

10:4606/05/2010

The U.S. Space Shuttle program may not come to an end this year, Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said in a statement, citing International Space Station (ISS) manager.

According to Michael Suffredini, the space shuttle Atlantis may be launched to the ISS in summer 2011.

"In this case, additional scientific equipment and components for system of water regeneration from condensate could be delivered to the U.S. segment of the station," the statement said. "However, funding for this flight has not been provided so far." ...

Full story: http://en.rian.ru/science/20090702/155414326.html

Well if this is true it's good news of course. But could it be true? Shuttle Guy, have you any idea please? Or anyone?

B

Booban

I dont think its about funding, they have no more spare parts. They have parts for one more shuttle flight which is for the 'stand by' flight and not meant to fly.

S

SteveCNC

Yeah if they do fly Atlantis what's gonna be the stand-by for it ? Could do what I have done at work , take two non-working machines and swap parts to make one work at least. In this case you have 3 shuttles , surely you could scavenge parts to make two working . .. And don't call me shirley :lol: That or kick me a drawing , I'll make ya some parts , cheap by the normal standards I am sure . And yes we are ISO9001 Certified , and we make parts for my friends over at SpaceDev but have never gotten in bed with Lockheed or Boeing where I work now .

B

bdewoody

Booban":1ikk6hfg said:
I dont think its about funding, they have no more spare parts. They have parts for one more shuttle flight which is for the 'stand by' flight and not meant to fly.
So they can make more parts. I'm sure they didn't nuke the plants where they are made or destroy the tooling, and I am sure the workers would welcome an opportunity to stay employed another year.

S

scottb50

bdewoody":grtf1vod said:
I'm sure they didn't nuke the plants where they are made or destroy the tooling, and I am sure the workers would welcome an opportunity to stay employed another year.

Most of it was shutdown years ago and I wouldn't be surprises if a lot of tooling had been destroyed. They're living of parts made years ago and when they're gone one or two new ones would cost hundreds of times what they cost originally.

That they could get by on available parts or by taking them from one remaining ship to keep the other two flying but that would probably buy only a few flights. SRB's and ET's would not be a major problem, it would be actuators and even common hardware that would be the problem.

S

shuttle_guy

Smersh":398h34yn said:
10:4606/05/2010

The U.S. Space Shuttle program may not come to an end this year, Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said in a statement, citing International Space Station (ISS) manager.

According to Michael Suffredini, the space shuttle Atlantis may be launched to the ISS in summer 2011.

"In this case, additional scientific equipment and components for system of water regeneration from condensate could be delivered to the U.S. segment of the station," the statement said. "However, funding for this flight has not been provided so far." ...

Full story: http://en.rian.ru/science/20090702/155414326.html
Well if this is true it's good news of course. But could it be true? Shuttle Guy, have you any idea please? Or anyone?

I have always assumed that the NASA management would fly Atlantis after it's Launch On Need (LON) task was not needed. The plan would be to fly a 4 man crew with not rescue Shuttle ready to go. If they get ascent damage that will not allow a safe entry the crew would come home in two Soyuz vehicles. A few months ago I started hearing that NASA was looking to get that mission approved. Howver with STS-134 probably slipping to Feb 2011 they seem to be backing off on flying Atlantis again, This is due to budget concerns.

S

Smersh

Thanks everyone for your replies and thanks Shuttle Guy for that insight.

Seems there's a slight possibilty it might happen then. Watch this space, I guess ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts