space shuttle question

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bluethunderbird

how many missions are needed with the space shuttle to finish the international space station?

G

Gravity_Ray

NASA has set up 6 more flights of the shuttle to complete the construction of the ISS.

STS129, STS130, STS131, STS132, STS134, STS133

Cheers.

S

spacejones

@Zipi - your link had a typo, it should be: http://www.nasa.gov/shuttle :)

Is it right what I read that after completion the station will only have a shelf life of 3/5 years before its allowed to burn up?

OR do you think a MIR type continuation will happen.

C

CalliArcale

The station's activities are only planned out 3/5 years; that does not imply any decision as to what happens after that. Most spacecraft get extensions after their primary missions. In many cases, the extended missions are longer than the primary missions. The extreme political visibility of ISS might lead to it being scuttled prematurely, but I doubt very much that this will happen.

Z

Zipi

At least Russians have plans for more than 3/5 years:

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/361832main_05%2 ... n_Engl.pdf

Very interesting presentation.... Especially page 10. I think I have red from somewhere that those scientific power modules are already funded. But just now I cannot find any confirmation official enough to be sure.

And I fixed my URL typo from the earlier post. ;)

Z

Zipi

Date: Nov. 12 +
Mission: STS-129
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Atlantis
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 4:22 p.m. EST
Description: Space shuttle Atlantis will deliver components including two spare gyroscopes, two nitrogen tank assemblies, two pump modules, an ammonia tank assembly and a spare latching end effector for the station's robotic arm to the International Space Station.

Date: Feb. 4 +
Mission: STS-130
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Endeavour
Launch Time: 6:20 a.m. EST
Description: Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver the final connecting node, Node 3, and the Cupola, a robotic control station with six windows around its sides and another in the center that provides a 360-degree view around the International Space Station.

Date: March 18 +
Mission: STS-131
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Time: 1:08 p.m. EDT
Description: Space shuttle Discovery will carry a Multi-Purpose Logistics Module filled with science racks that will be transferred to laboratories of the International Space Station.

Date: May 14 +
Mission: STS-132
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Atlantis
Launch Time: 3:05 p.m. EDT
Description: Space shuttle Atlantis mission will carry an integrated cargo carrier to deliver maintenance and assembly hardware, including spare parts for space station systems. In addition, the second in a series of new pressurized components for Russia, a Mini Research Module, will be permanently attached to the bottom port of the Zarya module.

Date: July 29 +
Mission: STS-133 or STS-134
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Endeavour
Launch Time: 8:45 a.m. EDT
STS-133 Description: Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier 4 (ELC4), a Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (MLPM) and critical spare components to the International Space Station.
STS-134 Description: Space shuttle Discovery will deliver an EXPRESS Logistics Carrier-3 (ELC-3) and an Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) to the International Space Station.

Date: Sept. 16 +
Mission: STS-134 or STS-133
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Time: 1 p.m. EDT
STS-134 Description: Space shuttle Discovery will deliver an EXPRESS Logistics Carrier-3 (ELC-3) and an Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) to the International Space Station.
STS-133 Description: Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier 4 (ELC4), a Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (MLPM) and critical spare components to the International Space Station.

T

Testing

CalliArcale":23f6t6br said:
The station's activities are only planned out 3/5 years; that does not imply any decision as to what happens after that.

Quite right milady. Look at the Mars Rovers intended for a 90 day mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts