Space Station Debris Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xXTheOneRavenXx

As more and more maneuvers are required by the Space Station to avoid such debris, it leads me to believe that the statement "The Space Station is not in any immediate danger of being hit by debris" found in many such topics on Space.com and other sites is very often contradicted. An example is found in the following topic: Space Station Dodges More Debris (Link: http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/09 ... ebris.html).

I have always had the thought that since there are a variety of sizes to the objects in the debris field, why couldn't a group of satillites be deployed with the latest tracking technology. From here these satillites could deploy a "net" structure spanned between them made say of nanotubes (newly developing technology) and catch much of this debris. The satillites will not be designed for a long mission in space, so much of their fuel could be used to increase momentum prior to acquiring their "catch" if you will to keep the objects in the "net". The rest of the required fuel would be used for thrust adjustments for the weight increase of the net. Yes, weight will be a huge issue as some of this debris is the size of a refridgerator or bigger. Of course we do not want to trash our solar system with our junk, nor allow it to re-enter the atmosphere. One idea is to send it on a one way trip towards our sun. The package (net of junk) could be nabbed by a later launched vehicle for this mission.

If there are any insights on this idea, or if you have any idea's of your own to resolve this growing issue... I for one think the great minds of this site could only be a help to our orbiting space monkey friends:)

M

MeteorWayne

Hi The One Raven,

There are already a number of threads addressing this issue, so I will probably merge this one with one of the others. I'll leave it here for a little while, and leave a bread crumb trail to whichever thead I merge it with.

Wayne

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

lol, no problem. I just thought seeing as it was a "new topic" on the main page, that the issue may not have been looked at in these forums. Purhaps leaving an easter egg trail to the thread Mr. Wabbit would be a bit tastier:) lol

M

MeteorWayne

NP here either. It's just that there at least 3 other threads I know of, and the discussion is getting rather scattered.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

Okay, I will do my best to search for pre-existing threads for topics that interest me before creating a new one. i know how much of a pain it can be to keep threads organized. Trust me, I know, lol. If I ever wanted to open my site up to your visitors MeteorWayne (mostly for old style flash games, game guides, etc...) would that be alright to post it somewhere? (free site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts