Space tourism: What are the pros and cons?

Aug 29, 2024
Visit site
In its early days aviation was something that only the rich could afford to do. It took a while for it to reach prices that were affordable to the general population . It's early days for commercial space travel.

Aug 20, 2023
Visit site
In its early days aviation was something that only the rich could afford to do. It took a while for it to reach prices that were affordable to the general population . It's early days for commercial space travel.
If these people were going someplace, I might agree with you but UP and then free-falling, is not a "destination". It's not a destination if you arrive, basically where you started from. Let's start launching people UP and over/out too actually land some place >> because they wanted to get to that/some place. Also, UP and freefall is not space travel. Far from it, lol. It's a fair/carnival ride - period. Nothing but an uncontrollable joy-ride in a tin-can - WEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! [said the piggy]

Aug 29, 2024
Visit site
If these people were going someplace, I might agree with you but UP and then free-falling, is not a "destination". It's not a destination if you arrive, basically where you started from. Let's start launching people UP and over/out too actually land some place >> because they wanted to get to that/some place. Also, UP and freefall is not space travel. Far from it, lol. It's a fair/carnival ride - period. Nothing but an uncontrollable joy-ride in a tin-can - WEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! [said the piggy]
There are plans to build commercial space stations to take the place of the ISS. Axiom Space is building a modular commercial space station that will be attached to the ISS and when completed, at some point before the ISS deorbits, will detach and become an independent space station. Space access costs are a big factor in what we can do in space. Bringing down space access costs is part of the reason why SpaceX is developing the Starship/Super Heavy.
Robert Goddard, who played a major role in modern rocketry, too often was ridiculed by those who didn't see the future implications of his work. One example of this was a January 13, 1920 New York Times editorial. Unlike the people of Goddard's time I'm willing to give the commercial space efforts a chance to see what they can come up with.

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
The Writght brothers were not rich. Their dad was a preacher and they owned a bicycle shop. In the early days, the people in the field were skilled tradesmen. The first passenger to die was a young army officer.

But later when aviation was commercialized, yes ticket prices were high

Aug 29, 2024
Visit site
The Writght brothers were not rich. Their dad was a preacher and they owned a bicycle shop. In the early days, the people in the field were skilled tradesmen. The first passenger to die was a young army officer.

But later when aviation was commercialized, yes ticket prices were high
Yes, I should have said commercial aviation in my initial post. The Wright brothers were followed by the military use of airplanes and the barnstorming era. One of the earliest uses of airplanes was air mail.
The Blue Origin New Shepard and the Virgin Galactic space plane suborbital rides could be considered to be similar to the barnstorming era of aviation. It will be interesting to see how commercial space develops in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts