SpaceShipThree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Rather than up and down this configuration would be capable of transoceanic hypersonic transportation. The booster looks a lot like the artwork Scaled/Virgin showed for LauncherOne (small satellite launcher) at a conference a few months ago.

FlightGlobal article....

SS3W445.jpg

As well as SS2, developed under Scaled Composites' Tier 1b programme (SpaceShipOne was developed under Tier 1), Virgin Galctic's president Will Whitehorn has spoken of a hypersonic point-to-point service. This would provide a rapid trans-Atlantic trip or the oft mooted 2h London, England to Sydney, Australia journey.

This would use a vehicle that has been called SpaceShipThree (SS3).

Although SS3 has also been referred to by Whitehorn as an orbital vehicle, and a SpaceShipFour as a possible name for a two-stage micro satellite launching rocket, at the New York SS2 and its carrier aircraft White Knight II unveil Whitehorn told me that SS3 would actually be a point-to-point vehicle travelling outside the atmosphere.

Such a point-to-point vehicle could be a stepping stone to solving the technical challenges for a manned orbital vehicle but for now, Whitehorn, tells me, he expects work to begin on SS3 soon after Virgin Galactic's commercial operations are underway.

Whitehorn envisages a 2012 timeframe for detailed SS3 work to begin using capital market financing, which Whitehorn expects to be available in the wake of a successful Virgin Galactic service.

But why do I think that SS2 could be an insight into SS3? It is because of the choice of a Dyna-Soar inspired design for the suborbital tourism vehicle.

While SS2 will likely not travel any faster than Mach 3, Dyna-Soar was designed for Mach 5. The choice of a twin-fuselage configuration for SS2's carrier aircraft White Knight II is also a potential SS3 related decision.
>

T

tanstaafl76

Well for one that illustration looks absurd. While they may have ideas for these sorts of things, they would be a pretty dramatic departure from the design of SS2, which is a relatively straightforward upscale of SS1. If you're doing point to point or orbital travel, I would imagine it also would require a different re-entry mechanism as you are no longer just managing your downward velocity but orbital velocity as well. Especially, as in the (I assume made-up) illustration above you have a giant booster superglued onto the back.

B

Boris_Badenov

From the comments section of the article;

By Rob Coppinger
on March 2, 2008 5:49 AM | Reply The illustration is speculation by our senior editorial artist and I, but informed from what we already know about SS2, Dyna-Soar and the Russian work.

I got back from ATK too late on Friday to add any more to this blog posting, I was too tired after a day spent in the Utah based-factories and test sites of the Shuttle and Ares programmes' SRB facilities with the engineers.

I am in the Holiday Inn, Denver, at the moment (2248h), for my flight back to the UK tomorrow but expect a follow-up SpaceShipThree blog this week from me and there will be a new Ares I first-stage story from me, via flightglobal.com.

D

docm

My interpretation is that the booster, which looks a lot like what Virgin showed previously as "LauncherOne", would 'chute down after separation and that the SS3 itself would have a hybrid and be a "hardened" vehicle with a TPS sufficient for mach 5-7 reentry. That it looks like SS2 is no accident since the SS2 has a very X-20 Dyna-Soar look to it, perfect for such a mission. Come to think of it XCOR Lynx has a family resemblance too.

x20horiz.jpg

ss2horiz.jpg

lynxhoriz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts