SpaceX - Falcon 1: Flight 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tanstaafl76

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>New update available today: http://www.spacex.com/updates.php</p><p>From the CEO....</p><p><strong> Flight 4 of Falcon 1 </strong></p> <p align="left"><em>As mentioned in my update last month, we do expect to conduct a launch countdown in late September &mdash; as scheduled. </em></p> <p><em>Having said that, it is still possible that we encounter an issue that needs to be investigated, which would delay launch until the next available window in late October. If preparations go smoothly, we will conduct a static fire on Saturday and launch sometime between Tuesday and Thursday (California time). </em></p> <p><em>The SpaceX team worked hard to make this launch window, but we also took the time to review data from Flight 3 in detail. In addition to us reviewing the data, we had several outside experts check the data and conclusions. No flight critical problems were found apart from the thrust transient issue. </em></p> <p><em>Flight 5 production is well underway with an expected January completion date, Flight 6 parts are on order and Flight 7 production will begin early next year. We are now in steady state production of Falcon 1 at a rate of one vehicle every four months, which we will probably step up to one vehicle every two to three months in 2010. </em></p> <p><em>-Elon Musk</em></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>----------------</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Cool stuff, good luck SpaceX!</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">&nbsp;New update available today: http://www.spacex.com/updates.phpFrom the CEO.... Flight 4 of Falcon 1 As mentioned in my update last month, we do expect to conduct a launch countdown in late September &mdash; as scheduled. Having said that, it is still possible that we encounter an issue that needs to be investigated, which would delay launch until the next available window in late October. If preparations go smoothly, we will conduct a static fire on Saturday and launch sometime between Tuesday and Thursday (California time). The SpaceX team worked hard to make this launch window, but we also took the time to review data from Flight 3 in detail. In addition to us reviewing the data, we had several outside experts check the data and conclusions. No flight critical problems were found apart from the thrust transient issue. Flight 5 production is well underway with an expected January completion date, Flight 6 parts are on order and Flight 7 production will begin early next year. We are now in steady state production of Falcon 1 at a rate of one vehicle every four months, which we will probably step up to one vehicle every two to three months in 2010. -Elon Musk&nbsp;----------------&nbsp;Cool stuff, good luck SpaceX!&nbsp; <br /> Posted by tanstaafl76</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>There is already a thread on this very topic in<font size="3"> Space Business & Technology</font>.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>I agree, lets hope Elon has ironed the bugs out now. They do seem to have some understanding of what went wrong last time. <br /></strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;New update available today: http://www.spacex.com/updates.phpFrom the CEO.... Flight 4 of Falcon 1 As mentioned in my update last month, we do expect to conduct a launch countdown in late September &mdash; as scheduled. Having said that, it is still possible that we encounter an issue that needs to be investigated, which would delay launch until the next available window in late October. If preparations go smoothly, we will conduct a static fire on Saturday and launch sometime between Tuesday and Thursday (California time). The SpaceX team worked hard to make this launch window, but we also took the time to review data from Flight 3 in detail. In addition to us reviewing the data, we had several outside experts check the data and conclusions. No flight critical problems were found apart from the thrust transient issue. Flight 5 production is well underway with an expected January completion date, Flight 6 parts are on order and Flight 7 production will begin early next year. We are now in steady state production of Falcon 1 at a rate of one vehicle every four months, which we will probably step up to one vehicle every two to three months in 2010. -Elon Musk&nbsp;----------------&nbsp;Cool stuff, good luck SpaceX!&nbsp; <br />Posted by tanstaafl76</DIV></p><p>Great news. Hopefully the static test will go well today and they will launch &nbsp;the same day as China launches their third manned flight.</p><p><br /><br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

<p>It did and they're saying it's on track for later this week.</p><p>See the thread in space business & tech</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<p><em>&nbsp;</em></p><p>From: http://www.spacex.com/updates.php </p><p><em>FLIGHT 4 LAUNCH UPDATE</em></p><p><em><strong class="blue smallText">Posted September 23, 2008 </strong></em></p> <p><em><strong> Flight 4 of Falcon 1 </strong></em></p> <p><em>The static fire took place on Saturday [20 Sep 2008, CA time], as expected, and no major issues came up. However, after a detailed analysis of data, we decided to replace a component in the 2nd stage engine LOX supply line. There is a good chance we would be ok flying as is, but we are being extremely cautious. </em></p> <p><em>This adds a few extra days to the schedule, so the updated launch window estimate is now Sept 28th through Oct 1st [CA time]. </em></p><em>--Elon--</em><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;From: http://www.spacex.com/updates.php FLIGHT 4 LAUNCH UPDATEPosted September 23, 2008 Flight 4 of Falcon 1 The static fire took place on Saturday [20 Sep 2008, CA time], as expected, and no major issues came up. However, after a detailed analysis of data, we decided to replace a component in the 2nd stage engine LOX supply line. There is a good chance we would be ok flying as is, but we are being extremely cautious. This adds a few extra days to the schedule, so the updated launch window estimate is now Sept 28th through Oct 1st [CA time]. --Elon--&nbsp; <br />Posted by tanstaafl76</DIV><br /><br />This is already posted in the thread in Space Busines and Technology. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This is already posted in the thread in Space Busines and Technology. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>I understand that, but this is about a specific launch, isn't it appropriate for it to be here?</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">I understand that, but this is about a specific launch, isn't it appropriate for it to be here?&nbsp; <br /> Posted by tanstaafl76</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>No, because SpaceX is a Private Space Business Venture. SpaceX is for profit. True this is a mission & a launch, but SpaceX operates under a very different mainfesto to the mainstream organisations like NASA, ESA, etc, where their remit is very different to SpaceX's.&nbsp;</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>If we mixed them, it would be a nightmare to manage, that is why there is a separate Space Business & Technology section. This belongs there, where already there is a very highly informative & interesting thread, will no doubt follow the launch & the post launch operations of the Payloads (I think Elon will get it right this time).</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>I will ask the moderators to lock this thread now.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I understand that, but this is about a specific launch, isn't it appropriate for it to be here?&nbsp; <br />Posted by tanstaafl76</DIV><br /><br />I'm kind of on the fence about this.</p><p>It has value in both fora, but the duplication dilutes the discussion.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

N

newsartist

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I understand that, but this is about a specific launch, isn't it appropriate for it to be here?&nbsp; <br />Posted by tanstaafl76</DIV></p><p>Any flight related coments belong here. </p><p>Near preflight,&nbsp;flight, early postflight; here.&nbsp;</p><p>L-O-N-G term finance-related plans there.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

G

gawin

<p>I think because this is a LAUNCH it belongs in missions and launches.</p><p>&nbsp;Just because it is NOT a GOVT it is still a launch of a craft from earth to space. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>They cover many commercial launches on this board so why the boycot on space x all of a sudden </p>

B

Boris_Badenov

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Any flight related coments belong here. Near preflight,&nbsp;flight, early postflight; here.&nbsp;L-O-N-G term finance-related plans there. <br />Posted by newsartist</DIV></p><p><font size="2">One or the other should be locked so all comments are in one thread. I've been posting all of my pertinent info in the one in SB&T, if it truly belongs here the other one should be locked.<br /><br /></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

H

holmec

<p>SpaceX and all the new space launches have been reported in Missions & Launches,,,,,why the change???</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>A launch is a launch..who cares if its a government launch, a commercial launch, or a nonprofit launch?&nbsp; If you want only govenment lauches then the title of this section should be changed.&nbsp; Otherwise its ambigouous. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Back to the subject SpaceX needs to really pull it together.&nbsp; I fear there might be something inheritally wrong with their operations, something seems amiss. </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

S

Swampcat

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>No, because SpaceX is a Private Space Business Venture. SpaceX is for profit. True this is a mission & a launch, but SpaceX operates under a very different mainfesto to the mainstream organisations like NASA, ESA, etc, where their remit is very different to SpaceX's.&nbsp;If we mixed them, it would be a nightmare to manage, that is why there is a separate Space Business & Technology section. This belongs there, where already there is a very highly informative & interesting thread, will no doubt follow the launch & the post launch operations of the Payloads (I think Elon will get it right this time).I will ask the moderators to lock this thread now.Andrew Brown.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by 3488</DIV></p><p>Andrew, with all due respect, I totally disagree. This is a launch. This forum is called Missions & Launches. Seems like a no brainer to me.</p><p>As I mentioned in another thread, SB&T is for the discussion of space related business and the technology used. Falcon I Flight 4 is a specific launch and deserves its place here in M&L. I will ask the moderators to keep it here.</p><p>If I had the ability to PM you, I would ask privately why you seem to think mixing private and public launches in the same forum would cause problems. Help me understand what those problems might me. I don't see it.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Any flight related coments belong here. Near preflight,&nbsp;flight, early postflight; here.&nbsp;L-O-N-G term finance-related plans there. <br /> Posted by newsartist</DIV></p><p>Right on !&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Launch 4 press kit (PDF)...Includes flight event timeline&nbsp; <br />Posted by docm</DIV><br /><br />Thanx! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

<font size="2">While I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a successful launch on Sunday (I have Sunday off) I wouldn't mind waiting, just as long as this one succeeds. </font>&nbsp; <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>While I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a successful launch on Sunday (I have Sunday off) I wouldn't mind waiting, just as long as this one succeeds. &nbsp; <br />Posted by boris1961</DIV><br /><br />Elon has said current window is still Sunday to Tuesday...keeping me eye out for any updates. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Elon has said current window is still Sunday to Tuesday...keeping me eye out for any updates. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p><font size="2">You & me both buddy. I'm headed for the 4 Springs Trailhead in a little bit today, but tomorrow I'll be posted at the computer waiting for the launch.<br /></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

B

bc

<p>Elon did a pretty cool interview that did touch on the up coming launch and said its stil on schedule. &nbsp;He also touched on future ambitions. &nbsp;You can check it out on their site.</p><p><span style="color:#666666;font-family:Tahoma;font-size:11px;line-height:14px" class="Apple-style-span"><strong>Elon Musk:</strong>&nbsp;Launch window is still holding for Sunday through Tuesday.</span>&nbsp;</p><p><span style="color:#666666;font-family:Tahoma;font-size:11px;line-height:14px" class="Apple-style-span"><strong>Elon Musk:</strong>&nbsp;Still a long way to getting *all* the Falcons and Dragons flying. <span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span">We need to get F1 to orbit for one thing :)</span> Then F9, F9 with Cargo Dragon, F9 with crew Drago and F9 Heavy. <span style="text-decoration:underline" class="Apple-style-span">My interest is very much in the direction of Mars, so a Mars lander of some kind might be the next step.</span></span></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>http://www.spacex.com/media.php?page=20080926&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><br />Latest from SpaceX:</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The Flight 4 Webcast will provide live coverage of launch activities. The webcast will be accessible via a link on the SpaceX home page at www.SpaceX.com. The launch window runs from 4 PM to 9 PM (Pacific time) each day. The Falcon 1 launch facilities are situated on Omelek Island, part of the Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site (RTS) at United States Army Kwajalein Atoll (USAKA).</p><p>The Falcon 1 Flight 4 vehicle carries a payload mass simulator of approximately 165 kg (364 lbs), designed and built by SpaceX specifically for this mission. Flight 3, which took place on August 2nd, executed a picture perfect first stage flight, ultimately reaching an altitude of 217 km, but encountered a problem just after stage separation that prevented the second stage from reaching orbit. The origin of the problem arose due to the longer thrust decay transient of our new Merlin 1C regeneratively cooled engine. Unlike the ablative engine used previously by SpaceX in Flights 1 and 2, the regenerative engine had unburned fuel in the cooling channels and manifold that combined with a small amount of residual oxygen to produce a small thrust that was just enough to overcome the stage separation pusher impulse.</p><p>SpaceX was aware of and had allowed for a thrust transient, but did not expect it to last that long. As it turned out, a very small increase in the time between commanding main engine shutdown and stage separation would have been enough to save the mission. The fix was also very simple, requiring one line of code to be changed.</p><p>We made the fix and immediately began work on Flight 4. Less than two months later, Falcon 1 Flight 4 is now on the pad at Kwajalein, ready for flight.</p><p align="left">&nbsp;</p><h3 class="sIFR-replaced" align="left"><span class="sIFR-alternate">Launch Coverage</span></h3><div class="hr3"><hr /></div><p>The Flight 4 Webcast will provide live coverage of launch activities. The webcast will be accessible via a link on the SpaceX home page at www.SpaceX.com.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

docm

"Update: Flight 4 of Falcon 1: Falcon 1 is currently cleared for liftoff sometime between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. (California time) tomorrow, Sunday September 28th. Of course, if we see anything that requires investigation, the launch will be postponed, but we'll let you know as soon as we know." <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bc

I was under the impression they had planned on launching a satelite. &nbsp;With a payload mass simulator will this be considered test flight three? &nbsp;Are there any details about the payload simulator in terms of if it will have instruments and communications equimpent? I'm sure they want to restore confidence in theor product before risking another paying customer's expensive payload. &nbsp;I think it is a smart move. &nbsp;I wish them the best of luck and I'll be wearing my lucky redwings jersey during the launch.. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

asj2006

Good luck to them, but I think the road to a successful and long-lived commercial venture in space is a very hard and difficult one. For the foreseable future, I think government and pseudo-corporations (e.g. state owned companies) would be the most successful at this, simply because of the lack of viable commercial opportunities in near space and the vast expense of such ventures. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts