(speed of expansion)near the beginning of expansion,

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R1

when the known universe was Ultracompact and time<br />in that neighborhood was Ultraslow (due to the very high gravitational distortion of time),(not t=0, but when gravity related matter formed),<br /><br />was the rate of expansion (and every single possible change that required movement) around that time Ultra slow? I say absolutely. what do you think?<br /><br />(I am keeping in mind that around that time, all that gravity matter in such a small area had such a high amount of gravitational time distortion that all clocks (in other words time) in that neighborhood were slow) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

aaron38

That's an interesting concept. Scientists have been theorizing that the early universe expanded faster than the speed of light.<br /><br />But if time was moving 10x slower, could the universe expand at c but appear to us to be expanding at 10*c?<br /><br />If a starship is built and flies off to Alpha Centauri at 0.95c, the ship will make the trip in 4 years. But due to time distilation, the crew will experience the trip taking 3 years. To them, they traveled FASTER than the speed of light.<br /><br />So it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light (in a sense), from one point of view. Maybe the universe did the same thing?

S

Saiph

actually, to them they also traveled slower than light. Why? because of the much forgotten twin of time dilation: length contraction.<br /><br />not only do they observe a shorter travel time, they also observe a shorter traveling distance. They will not measure alpha centauri to be 4 ly away!<br /><br />Anyway, expansion in the very beginning was likely "slowed" due to time dilation, as you mention, compared to us now. But it did expand rapidly. Furthermore there is believed to be an "inflationary" period (for various reasons) in which it expanded at many times the speed of light, powered by when...geesh, I forgot! Something formed, releasing a lot of energy. I want to say something about vacuum energy...but I don't exactly remember.<br /><br />But this caused an expansion of hundred to thousands in a very, very short time frame. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

R

R1

thanks for the inputs, <br />It is definitely interesting and I think it needs to be discussed more<br />by the scientists.<br /><br />I still disagree that this was a rapid expansion.<br /> It was actually slow. nothing quick about it.<br />I am still referreing to the early moments, when the first gravity related particles formed.<br /><br />People must keep the new thing called gravity in mind...Its critically severe time-slowing distortion<br />is part of what really actually happened .<br /><br />I wouldn't be surprised if it took say a billion years for the then-ultracompact universe to grow by merely an inch. It need not conflict with todays observed accelerating expansion ,<br />because now the universe is virtually dispersed like a gas, time now is in most of the universe is highly accelerated too, and particles are quick, except near the gravity pockets<br />that is to say the massive bodies and the holes, where time is still slow and remains in the past.<br /><br />However, I would like to point out too, the therory of the scientists <br />that the early expansion was faster than the speed of light might only refer to the time before<br />the gravity related particles formed...around that time...in the absence of gravity to distort <br />and slow time with.<br /> <br />(--Unless--- :<br />If such expansion was that fast, (the faster than light theory)<br />when time was so extremely distorted (slowed) from all the gravity being in that nighborhood,<br />then I suspect that the universe today was actually 'thrown' back in time, into the past.) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Saiph

it's discussed quite a bit actually, an entire field of astronomy takes a good close look at it.<br /><br />I'll see if I can't dig up reasons for a fast expansion, along with the inflation. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts