Speed of the moon shadow during the eclipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JordiHeguilor

<p>It seems to me that the speed of the moon shadow mentioned in the Space Magazine article (2740 mph)&nbsp;is excessive.&nbsp; At this speed it would circle the earth twice during 24 hours.</p><p>&nbsp;I would say that the correct speed should be closer to 900 mph.</p>

J

JordiHeguilor

<p>I was wrong, the speed changes depending of the distance to the Equator.</p><p>From Encarta:</p><p>"The shadow of the moon moves across the surface of the earth in an easterly direction. Because the earth is also rotating eastward, the speed of the moon shadow across the earth is equal to the speed of the moon traveling along its orbit, minus the speed of the earth&rsquo;s rotation. The speed of the shadow at the equator is about 1706 km/h (about 1060 mph); near the poles, where the speed of rotation is virtually zero, it is about 3380 km/h (about 2100 mph). The path of a total solar eclipse and the time of totality can be calculated from the size of the moon&rsquo;s shadow and from its speed. The maximum duration of a total solar eclipse is about 7.5 minutes, but these are rare, occurring only once in several thousand years. A total eclipse is usually visible for about 3 minutes from a point in the center of the path of totality."</p>

B

billslugg

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The maximum duration of a total solar eclipse is about 7.5 minutes, but these are rare, occurring only once in several thousand years. A total eclipse is usually visible for about 3 minutes from a point in the center of the path of totality." <br /> Posted by JordiHeguilor</DIV></p><p>I went to the center of the June 1991 toatal eclipse in Baja. It was very near noon. It was near the summer solstice, we were at the midway of the track, we were at the center of the track. I beliece that the theoretical maximum is about 7min51sec and we were at 7Min41sec. It was fantastic. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts