'Star Trek: Picard' Season 3 premiere is pure 'Next Generation' nostalgia, for better or worse

Feb 17, 2023
Visit site
100% agree with Snowden's appraisal of the show, and the somewhat cynical markerting ploy. I was reliably informed that Picard Season 3 was a return to old Trek (by that very marketing strategy), and in the first few minutes - especially with plenty of nods to the original Alexander Courage theme and Jerry Goldsmith's music - I began to feel that Trek warmth for the first time in decades. Then the nostalgia-veneer peeled away to reveal the standard clichéd, trope-filled character writing we've come to expect from the JJ-Kurtzman-verse. Why was the bartender so disaproving of the Enterprise D? That element came off cheap and shoe-horned in just to give old characters that 'down on their luck' and 'gritty' jumping off point. As soon as Riker did his old-man-shouting-at-kids routine, I felt a palpable sense of cringe.

I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, but when you have Picard, famous for his stoicism, say things like "Shut it, Will", it disolved any goodwill I had towards the show. It's embarrassing to see these legacy characters be given such hackneyed dialogue and character motivations. I've gotta give credit for the design of the USS Titan though - that truly was the star of the show. Whoever designed that knew what they were doing. It was an incredible mix of the late-70s Enterprise refit design and the Discovery-era ships. I want that ship on my shelf.

Feb 17, 2023
Visit site
If this is "evolved" script writing then it needs to go back to school and get revolved. A Bunch of actors who used to work together 30 years ago, decide to work together again quoting Trek lingo isn't promoting the craft and its something marginal as sci-fi goes. It's a last stab at relevance and a paycheck. This will keep them active in the con circuit for another 7 years as they will have something new to say.

All I can say is "good riddance". If they thought the last movie was a bust of an exit, then they burned the exit door down in this. What a mess. No coming back now.

Nothing to see here Unless you are using your free Paramount Plus coupons, otherwise I would move along.

Latest posts