Starship is ready for its 5th test flight, SpaceX says (photos)

Has Musk or anybody in SpaceX given any estimated probability for successfully catching the booster with the chopsticks on their first try? I noticed that they erected another launch tower, so I am suspecting that they are preparing for failure and some damage on the first attempt, and don't want that to delay subsequent launches while they fix any damage. But I am sure they are hoping for success on the first try.

Fingers crossed, here

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
Has Musk or anybody in SpaceX given any estimated probability for successfully catching the booster with the chopsticks on their first try? I noticed that they erected another launch tower, so I am suspecting that they are preparing for failure and some damage on the first attempt, and don't want that to delay subsequent launches while they fix any damage. But I am sure they are hoping for success on the first try.

Fingers crossed, here
Are there chopstick catchers on the moon and mars? No there are not, so what is the point in doing something that can't be done off Earth?

Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
Are there chopstick catchers on the moon and mars? No there are not, so what is the point in doing something that can't be done off Earth?

Because Starship isn't only going to other planets. It's also for "earth to earth" travel. It also needs to dock again on its return journey for resupply, and having it on chopsticks greatly reduces its turn-around time for re-use.

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
Because Starship isn't only going to other planets. It's also for "earth to earth" travel. It also needs to dock again on its return journey for resupply, and having it on chopsticks greatly reduces its turn-around time for re-use.
Actually it is called the starship because its stated purpose is to go to the moon and mars, except now it has proven that it cannot land as intended even on the Earth

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4nR718ryFnQ

So there also needs to be a methane producing plant on mars.

Who builds that?

"StarShip" upper stages will be of many different designs, depending on purpose. The one that NASA is contracting to land on the Moon will have landing legs because there will be no chop sticks on the Moon when NASA gets there. That version might not even have reentry tiles if it is just going to orbit the Moon, serving as the local taxi for multiple trips from lunar orbit to lunar surface. Similarly, tanker versions that will repeatedly carry fuel to the lunar taxi from low earth orbit probably will not be equipped for reentry or landing, because that is not part of their mission. And, upper stages that are to become modules for orbiting space stations likewise would not have reentry or landing equipment.

Most people already seem to know those things.

Reactions: Jamoccasin
Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
Who builds that?
Hypothetically, an entire small self-contained plant that is fully autonomous could be deployed as cargo on the first successful landing on Mars. But to answer your question more succinctly, likely a team of suicidal astronauts who will carry out its construction and die on Mars, of which likely Mars' first established colony will be named after.

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
Hypothetically, an entire small self-contained plant that is fully autonomous could be deployed as cargo on the first successful landing on Mars. But to answer your question more succinctly, likely a team of suicidal astronauts who will carry out its construction and die on Mars, of which likely Mars' first established colony will be named after.
Nope because the only room for cargo is used for food, water and O2. If you run the math, you will see this as the trip takes 9 months to 3 years depending on the launch window. Then it is another 9 months to 3 years back. Even if the urine is filtered the food cannot be stored nor could the O2 and does anyone ever actually take a shower. Have fun not 4 me

Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
Nope because the only room for cargo is used for food, water and O2. If you run the math, you will see this as the trip takes 9 months to 3 years depending on the launch window. Then it is another 9 months to 3 years back. Even if the urine is filtered the food cannot be stored nor could the O2 and does anyone ever actually take a shower. Have fun not 4 me

An autonomous drone that runs on solar power doesn't need food, water, or O2...

It's also entirely possible to send 12, 30, 100 Starships to Mars simultaneously for all supplies needed. There would also be regular shipments to-and-from Earth-Mars. If there are 27 Starships doing trips, you could have a resupply once per month.

Once a small base is constructed, it's entirely possible to harvest and/or generate the colony's own food, water, and O2. Heat and electricity would be provided by a small nuclear generator. Like the ISS, the base would be a series of modules created on Earth, not constructed on Mars.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
It depends on whether you're talking about the Starship or the booster. These are the two very different parts of full stack. The booster, which they will be attempting to catch this flight will not be used anywhere besides Earth. The booster is just the first stage and will not even fully leave the atmosphere so there are no plans to have it land on other planets/moons. The starship upper stage will be the part that actually goes to orbit, and potentially other planets/moons, meaning that there will probably be many different variants of starship, some made for the catch tower for orbital missions, and others with landing legs or other systems for landings on other moons/planets. Either way it makes perfect sense for them to be catch testing the booster this flight.

Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
The long term plan would be to send many starships to Mars at the same time, some with crew and others with cargo so they can bring all the mass they need for a successful mission and surface operations.

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
It depends on whether you're talking about the Starship or the booster. These are the two very different parts of full stack. The booster, which they will be attempting to catch this flight will not be used anywhere besides Earth. The booster is just the first stage and will not even fully leave the atmosphere so there are no plans to have it land on other planets/moons. The starship upper stage will be the part that actually goes to orbit, and potentially other planets/moons, meaning that there will probably be many different variants of starship, some made for the catch tower for orbital missions, and others with landing legs or other systems for landings on other moons/planets. Either way it makes perfect sense for them to be catch testing the booster this flight.
The booster was supposed to land itself, and it did then blew up, then they splashed it down in the ocean where it sunk and now by using chopsticks they are actually admitting that it cannot land. Also you can watch every minute of NASA footage and you will not see anyone in mission control laughing and clapping like the spacex control does to try to hide their complete failure after an explosion. Just think how are they going to bring heavy construction equipment to Mars? Where does the food and water come from? a pipeline from Earth perhaps. Perhaps in 200 years but not even then with solid/liquid rocket tech.

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
The long term plan would be to send many starships to Mars at the same time, some with crew and others with cargo so they can bring all the mass they need for a successful mission and surface operations.
And if the crucial ship blows up on takeoff or landing the entire mission fails for lack of certain parts. See Mars has no parts stores, just like the ISS has no new Helium fittings. Which starships are being refurbished by the way? You know like Musk promised would reduce cost? What parts from the first 4 launches are on starship 5?

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
An autonomous drone that runs on solar power doesn't need food, water, or O2...

It's also entirely possible to send 12, 30, 100 Starships to Mars simultaneously for all supplies needed. There would also be regular shipments to-and-from Earth-Mars. If there are 27 Starships doing trips, you could have a resupply once per month.

Once a small base is constructed, it's entirely possible to harvest and/or generate the colony's own food, water, and O2. Heat and electricity would be provided by a small nuclear generator. Like the ISS, the base would be a series of modules created on Earth, not constructed on Mars.
Except the FAA has not certified the starship for flight, until then you can watch the real 10 inch model Enterprizes on star trek and dream. Which starship can transport this? Because habitats will need to be subterranean to escape the radiation, or everyone dies

CM20170927-57552-57961

Aug 10, 2024
Visit site

Fingers crossed, here
I'd guess there's like a 60% chance of success, but that's just from experience watching SpaceX development/launches. I'm really hoping it goes well also 😂
The booster was supposed to land itself, and it did then blew up, then they splashed it down in the ocean where it sunk and now by using chopsticks they are actually admitting that it cannot land. Also you can watch every minute of NASA footage and you will not see anyone in mission control laughing and clapping like the spacex control does to try to hide their complete failure after an explosion. Just think how are they going to bring heavy construction equipment to Mars? Where does the food and water come from? a pipeline from Earth perhaps. Perhaps in 200 years but not even then with solid/liquid rocket tech.

The booster actually hasn't "landed and then blown up" before, but you are correct, there have been failures. The soft landings in the ocean was not meant for recovery, only to test if the booster and ship could slow themselves sufficiently after surviving reentry. The main point you seem to misunderstand is that the approach SpaceX uses is called "irritative testing" they are expecting/welcoming failures during testing so they can improve/fix the points of failure (like Edison and the lightbulb). Like you said, NASA would not be celebrating a launch explosion/failure because NASA does not use this "iterative testing" approach and instead relies on very precise expensive engineering so that everything goes right on the first try. The downside is this means it takes much longer for NASA to design and produce a rocket. Both approaches have pros and cons, but it's important to understand that they're very different. As for bringing supplies to Mars, that's a whole different discussion, but it all comes down to being able to launch enough mass to sustain a mission with redundancy which starship aims to do once it's fully operational.

On another note, I totally understand being critical of starship/SpaceX especially if starship has failures when it's launching actual payloads for official missions, but for now there's a reason they're called flight tests and not missions. There's no payload and no guarantee of success. But from SpaceX's track record with falcon 9, it's reasonable that they will get starship fully operational soon.

I still respect your opinions and willingness to share them even if I don't agree.

Reactions: Cariboudjan

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
I'd guess there's like a 60% chance of success, but that's just from experience watching SpaceX development/launches. I'm really hoping it goes well also 😂

The booster actually hasn't "landed and then blown up" before, but you are correct, there have been failures. The soft landings in the ocean was not meant for recovery, only to test if the booster and ship could slow themselves sufficiently after surviving reentry. The main point you seem to misunderstand is that the approach SpaceX uses is called "irritative testing" they are expecting/welcoming failures during testing so they can improve/fix the points of failure (like Edison and the lightbulb). Like you said, NASA would not be celebrating a launch explosion/failure because NASA does not use this "iterative testing" approach and instead relies on very precise expensive engineering so that everything goes right on the first try. The downside is this means it takes much longer for NASA to design and produce a rocket. Both approaches have pros and cons, but it's important to understand that they're very different. As for bringing supplies to Mars, that's a whole different discussion, but it all comes down to being able to launch enough mass to sustain a mission with redundancy which starship aims to do once it's fully operational.

On another note, I totally understand being critical of starship/SpaceX especially if starship has failures when it's launching actual payloads for official missions, but for now there's a reason they're called flight tests and not missions. There's no payload and no guarantee of success. But from SpaceX's track record with falcon 9, it's reasonable that they will get starship fully operational soon.

I still respect your opinions and willingness to share them even if I don't agree.
Oh now that you mention it the thing that tried to land then exploded was the main stage that would have the crew and supplies. So which mission is the 5th booster reconditioned from? Or are no parts being reused?

Still waiting for someone to explain why spacex mission control cheers failures. LOL did people cheer when the Titanic sank? or when the Challenger exploded?

If you do the math, and include the food water and Oxygen needs per person for a 2 to 4 year round trip you would see only the need for Cyanide

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
Oh now that you mention it the thing that tried to land then exploded was the main stage that would have the crew and supplies. So which mission is the 5th booster reconditioned from? Or are no parts being reused?

Still waiting for someone to explain why spacex mission control cheers failures. LOL did people cheer when the Titanic sank? or when the Challenger exploded?

If you do the math, and include the food water and Oxygen needs per person for a 2 to 4 year round trip you would see only the need for Cyanide
There were people on the Titanic and the Challenger, they weren't expected to fail

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site

Still waiting for someone to explain why spacex mission control cheers failures. LOL did people cheer when the Titanic sank? or when the Challenger exploded? Well perhaps in Iran or Russia, this is true

No "main stage" has ever landed or attempted to land on the catch-arms. Everything that landed, landed and then blew up, or unceremoniously (or ceremoniously, if you're a SpaceX fan), was a test-article that came down on leg-like sticks on the ground, not the catch-arms, with one-shot shock absorbers. Or came down in bits and pieces. A coupla of them survived, but they were never intended for re-use. They were test-articles. In fact, so far, all of the launches have been test-rockets. Possibly this launch will have a booster that will survive for reuse.

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
No "main stage" has ever landed or attempted to land on the catch-arms. Everything that landed, landed and then blew up, or unceremoniously (or ceremoniously, if you're a SpaceX fan), was a test-article that came down on leg-like sticks on the ground, not the catch-arms, with one-shot shock absorbers. Or came down in bits and pieces. A coupla of them survived, but they were never intended for re-use. They were test-articles. In fact, so far, all of the launches have been test-rockets. Possibly this launch will have a booster that will survive for reuse.
Are there catch arms on the Moon and Mars or MUST the thing land without exploding?

It's all actually moot unless someone figures out how to create food, water and Oxygen on the way to Mars.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
Are there catch arms on the Moon and Mars or MUST the thing land without exploding?

It's all actually moot unless someone figures out how to create food, water and Oxygen on the way to Mars.

Hydroponics, nitrogen, sunlight, water... Creates both food and oxygen. Water can be harnessed by melting the ground water, which is already confirmed to exist.

Also water can be reused almost indefinitely through filtration. Pretty much every drop of water on earth has already been through and pissed out of a living thing, and naturally filtered and re-drank multiple times already.

Anyway, I'm a programmer. The only way I know that my program isn't finished is by testing it. It fails constantly. But in failure you learn. Imagine if every programmer were expected to write a program and have it run perfectly the first time its tested? Nonsense to expect a rocket program not to have multiple failures, especially when creating something that has NEVER been done before. (eg. self-landing rockets, orbital refueling)

The only reason anyone talks about SpaceX's explosions is because they are dramatic and broadcasted. All R&D has millions of failures before a single success - Imagine you, calling Cancer researches complete failures at developing a cure, because they haven't been able to figure it out *yet*. If they were listening to you, we would never have a cure for cancer because every researcher would just give up.

No human lives were lost from SpaceX so far - NASA killed multiple people on the way to the moon. What is the issue you're having? It blew up a couple times = Not a failure. SpaceX can just keep building them over and over again, rinse and repeat, until success is achieved. No one is hurt by these tests so I'm not sure what your struggle is.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
Hydroponics, nitrogen, sunlight, water... Creates both food and oxygen. Water can be harnessed by melting the ground water, which is already confirmed to exist.

Also water can be reused almost indefinitely through filtration. Pretty much every drop of water on earth has already been through and pissed out of a living thing, and naturally filtered and re-drank multiple times already.

Anyway, I'm a programmer. The only way I know that my program isn't finished is by testing it. It fails constantly. But in failure you learn. Imagine if every programmer were expected to write a program and have it run perfectly the first time its tested? Nonsense to expect a rocket program not to have multiple failures, especially when creating something that has NEVER been done before. (eg. self-landing rockets, orbital refueling)

The only reason anyone talks about SpaceX's explosions is because they are dramatic and broadcasted. All R&D has millions of failures before a single success - Imagine you, calling Cancer researches complete failures at developing a cure, because they haven't been able to figure it out *yet*. If they were listening to you, we would never have a cure for cancer because every researcher would just give up.

No human lives were lost from SpaceX so far - NASA killed multiple people on the way to the moon. What is the issue you're having? It blew up a couple times = Not a failure. SpaceX can just keep building them over and over again, rinse and repeat, until success is achieved. No one is hurt by these tests so I'm not sure what your struggle is.
💯