Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Wow....just Wow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_T ... 8series%29

Studio: NBC/Universal

First film: 2012

First year of TV series: ?? (TV between films ??)

Director: Ron Howard (first film and first year of the TV series)

Producers: Ron Howard; Akiva Goldsman (Hancock, I Am Legend, Fringe (TV). In development: Logan's Run; Toxic Avenger; Fantastic Four reboot)

Writers: Stephen King (novels); Ron Howard; Akiva Goldsman

Ron Howard quote:

We are excited to have found partners at Universal who understand and embrace our approach to King's remarkable epic," said Howard. "By using both the scope and scale of theatrical filmmaking and the intimacy of television we hope to more comprehensively do justice to the characters, themes and amazing sequences King has given us in 'The Dark Tower' novels. It might be the challenge of a lifetime but clearly a thrilling one to take on and explore.

king-dark-tower-new.jpg

S

StarRider1701

I started reading the books. The first three were great, but then the next books took SOOOO LONG for him to release. After a while I got tired of waiting and gave up on them. I couldn't stay into them. I might take a look at the movie and perhaps the TV series if the movie is good enough and I'm am convinced that the series will be good and true to the movie.

If they can do it the way Stargate SG1 picked up right where the Stargate movie ended - I'm in.

S

strandedonearth

The anticipation for this is killing me as surely as a slug from the Gunslinger's big old revolvers.

I 'm a big fan of the Dark Tower series, even though the later books got a little wordy and weird.

Edit: Now that I've read the Wiki link, I realize I've missed a bunch of comic book series on the Dark Tower. Interesting. And I must check out Discordia

A

a_lost_packet_

I read the first one and part of the second. After careful consideration, I have this to say:

Stephen King should stick with the stand-alone novel.

I am not a big fan of King, even though I've read several of his books and have enjoyed them. I've even looked to his "On Writing" for some keynote advice because I consider him a master-craftsman when it comes to characters. But, King should stay doing what he does best - Writing the oh-wow! character driven horror/suspense novel. In his element, King reigns supreme. Outside of it, as is the case with The Dark Tower series, I think he flounders a bit. Stephen King is just not a "series" writer, IMO. (I also didn't enjoy the milieu for that series, much like I didn't enjoy "The Talisman.")

But, hey.. Who am I to argue with a guy that has King's bonafides? If he wants to write 'em, he's big enough to get what he wants.

P

photoneye

StarRider1701":1a7twxow said:
I started reading the books. The first three were great, but then the next books took SOOOO LONG for him to release. After a while I got tired of waiting and gave up on them. I couldn't stay into them. I might take a look at the movie and perhaps the TV series if the movie is good enough and I'm am convinced that the series will be good and true to the movie.

I got tired of Gunslinger's adventures reading Wolves of Calla. The original good story degraded to primitive tale, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.