Stoker interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonClarke

Carol Stoker has given an interview to the highly respected James Oberg about the "life on Mars" story and its fallout at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7261407/ . Interestingly the interview is being run by MSNBC, who also ran the original "story", which indicates that they have distanced themselves from it.<br /><br />Despite the story being shown to be completely unfounded from many angles, the author, Brian Berger, sticks by it as, I assume does SDC. Clearly the rule for the media is never admit you are wrong, even when there is egg all over your face.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

T

thechemist

Despite the fact that I think she is 100% right in trashing MSNBC's article and ethics, I think Stoker overeacted a bit in her assessment of the damage she has sustained scientifically. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

J

JonClarke

I don't think she is exaggerating the potential. I know from working in both gov and industry that any kind of story about about a work matter that was published without authorisation or clearance would cause extreme embarassment and potentially have professional repercussions. Even if the story was based on misquotes and taken out of context. This is very irresponsible journalism, and it certainly makes me question the credibility of all of SDCs news stories. Plus their refusal to acknowledge they got in wrong makes question their professional integrity.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

alpha_taur1

I'll agree with that 100%. I know how much damage this sort of publicity can do. There should be some sort of apology by SDC. Reputation is everything when it comes to scientific research.

Status
Not open for further replies.