Strange circular dunes on Mars spotted in these NASA photos

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
The sand dunes of Mars come in a wide range of shapes and s, but a new image shows sand dunes that are surprisingly near-perfect circles.

Strange circular dunes on Mars spotted in these NASA photos : Read more
While I generally respect that NASA knows what they're talking about. The images posted to this topic. I see no visual cues in the imagery that would indicate these are actually Dunes. In fact the exact opposite there's nothing there. They are holes. They don't appear to be very deep but they are holes. In fact there are several cues that would indicate this. Along the southwestern Edge you can see where the wind has blown up debris from inside the hole and formed a lip. You can also see where debris has rained down from actual Dunes that are present around the outer perimeter. And the differentiating color pattern of that material forms a trail. Like water running down the side of a rock.

No there are several things that could be potential causes of this. It could be anything from a gas eruption under the surface. To potentially a life form. A worm for example. We have a number of animals here on Earth which produce very similar nests. But assuming it's not a living thing. It could also be an asteroid impact. Debris raining down from something. I think it's most likely to be gas erupting from under the surface. But whatever it is it is a hole.

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
While I generally respect that NASA knows what they're talking about. The images posted to this topic. I see no visual cues in the imagery that would indicate these are actually Dunes. In fact the exact opposite there's nothing there. They are holes. They don't appear to be very deep but they are holes. In fact there are several cues that would indicate this. Along the southwestern Edge you can see where the wind has blown up debris from inside the hole and formed a lip. You can also see where debris has rained down from actual Dunes that are present around the outer perimeter. And the differentiating color pattern of that material forms a trail. Like water running down the side of a rock.

No there are several things that could be potential causes of this. It could be anything from a gas eruption under the surface. To potentially a life form. A worm for example. We have a number of animals here on Earth which produce very similar nests. But assuming it's not a living thing. It could also be an asteroid impact. Debris raining down from something. I think it's most likely to be gas erupting from under the surface. But whatever it is it is a hole.
Hmmm, should I go with the planetary scientists or some random guy that thinks they are holes created by worms ?

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
The sand dunes of Mars come in a wide range of shapes and s, but a new image shows sand dunes that are surprisingly near-perfect circles.

Strange circular dunes on Mars spotted in these NASA photos : Read more

I tend to agree, mostly, with your observations. My first thought was they were created by an upwelling of gases. Their proximity seems likely to be caused by a subterranean event of some kind.

I tend to think of the word "dune" to mean a mound of particles (e.g., sand or dust) configured by wind.

Using that definition, it seems strange that there would be nearly ciruclar dunes, especially given the interpretation that the same side of all of them show the effects of being "down-wind".

So, I am wondering what physical process determines their consistent round shape?

I can think of several natural processes for depressions (sink holes, meteor swam strike, etc.) but none that would create a batch of similar size and shape raised piles of particles. I would think that even volcanic vents spewing particles would probably have a more conical shape, rather than a flat dome shape.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I tend to think of the word "dune" to mean a mound of particles (e.g., sand or dust) configured by wind.

Using that definition, it seems strange that there would be nearly ciruclar dunes, especially given the interpretation that the same side of all of them show the effects of being "down-wind".

So, I am wondering what physical process determines their consistent round shape?

I can think of several natural processes for depressions (sink holes, meteor swam strike, etc.) but none that would create a batch of similar size and shape raised piles of particles. I would think that even volcanic vents spewing particles would probably have a more conical shape, rather than a flat dome shape.

It also looks like there are vague hints of other circle shapes in the sand in between the main circular holes. I agree with the speculation of sink holes. Maybe a flow or movement of liquid underground is undermining the area and it’s slowly collapsing in holes. Can I link a photo of sinkholes?

Reactions: COLGeek

Latest posts