STS-116 black smoke puffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

ltm_se

I just watched the 116 launch and noticed black puffs of black smoke coming from the right SRB. I guess it really wasn't something wrong since everything went well. But what was it and why was it only visible on the right SRB and not the left one? Anyone else noticed that?<br /><br />

R

rfoshaug

Haven't noticed, but I'll have another look at the recording. Was it just after liftoff, or later in the flight? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff9900">----------------------------------</font></p><p><font color="#ff9900">My minds have many opinions</font></p> </div>

L

ltm_se

A few seconds after liftoff. <br /><br />They are large (1/2 to 3/4 the diam of the SRB) and visible in the area of the right SRB nossle.<br />

L

lacuna

Yeah I watched the video a few times and I noticed that. It could be from the angle of the camera and the shuttle so that you could see the night sky behind it. I don't really think it looks too much like smoke though.

L

ltm_se

Perhaps not smoke puffs since smoke most likely should be illuminated and be displayed in whitish yellowish color. <br /><br />Anyway ... if it is a result of seeing the nightsky between the plumes why are the plumes so irregular and why are they pulsing? Since this was very early in the flight could it be soundwave related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts