STS-119 in-flight thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newsartist

As we have done in the past; this thread is to help users avoid wading through page after page of preflight to get to the actual mission.

Do not post here until the solids light and we have a launch commit. Until then, or if there is a scrub tonight, please continue posting on the other STS-119 thread.

N

newsartist

This STS-119 in-flight thread is unlocked, but don't post here until actual launch.

Posts prior to T-0 will be deleted.

T

Testing

newsartist":2qoumw3r said:
This STS-119 in-flight thread is unlocked, but don't post here until actual launch.

Posts prior to T-0 will be deleted.

Thats the first time I have seen the vehicle rock at main engine start.
The cameras are better. Not the same without SG. I believe this is the first
manned launch he has not been on the propulsion console starting with Apollo 14.

E

earth_bound_misfit

Testing":3ae7agp8 said:
Not the same without SG. I believe this is the first
manned launch he has not been on the propulsion console starting with Apollo 14.

Yeah, what's the go there? I thought it might've been an intern - firing room console desk thing :lol:

T

Testing

earth_bound_misfit":1na57u3c said:
Testing":1na57u3c said:
Not the same without SG. I believe this is the first

Yeah, what's the go there? I thought it might've been an intern - firing room console desk thing :lol:

You know what I know. I have no information other than his statement that he is no longer working at KSC.

B

bobble_bob

Some great views when the SRB's seperated, best ive seen

T

Testing

Just watching the replays. Did anyone else see flying brick (flame trench)on camera OTV-71?

E

earth_bound_misfit

nimbus":33x87klx said:
Thanks for the 1.2mbps link, EBM.

No problem, you're welcome.

Just heard on the audio replay from ISS, that they captured HD footage of the launch, that will be interesting to see.

N

newsartist

Testing":1x6whbot said:
Thats the first time I have seen the vehicle rock at main engine start.
The cameras are better. Not the same without SG. I believe this is the first

That was a heartstopper!

We normally see the 'Twang', but this looked like it was falling into the flame pit, a-la-Vanguard!

I suspect that what we saw was a camera not quite ready for the blast from the SRB ignition. The Shuttle was fine, but the camera was moving.

T

Testing

I saw it as real but could be wrong. It rocked the right direction and bet the cameras are mounted pretty good. No matter, clean launch and I just put eyeball on her at 1945 PST over So. California. SW to NE better than one minute. Only chance I had this week.

T

ThereIWas2

Watched from the beach in St. Augustine (along with several hundred other people). Pretty neat as it climbed out of the Earth shadow into sunlight. Clearly saw the SRB separation. It was still visible after 5 minutes as a white dot to the northeast.

M

MeteorWayne

From spaceflightnow:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts119/090316fd2/

Flight controllers at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, meanwhile, are continuing to evaluate the orbit of a piece of Russian space junk to determine if a space station debris avoidance maneuver might be necessary later today.

"Tracking data from government resources indicated a piece of a Cosmos spacecraft ... was going to pass within the (safety) threshold," said Pat Ryan in mission control. "Plans at that point were begun for a possible debris avoidance maneuver, an engine burn by the international space station that would move it so that it was well clear of this piece of space junk."

A more recent update indicated "there is now no threshold violation anticipated by this piece of space junk," Ryan said. "But because the target has seemed to be a moving one, the station teams are proceeding with their plans to be ready with a debris avoidance maneuver tonight and they are content to wait until at least the next round of tracking data ... before coming to a final decision."

If a debris avoidance maneuver is required, a rocket firing would be targeted for around 9:50 p.m., Ryan said. The debris, from the Russian Cosmos 1275 military navigation satellite launched in 1981, is expected to make its closest approach to the station around 3:14 a.m. Tuesday. But it was not immediately known how big the debris might be or how close it might come to the station.

Shuttle flight planners are preparing to make changes to Discovery's rendezvous rocket firing sequence to accommodate any move by the space station if an avoidance maneuver is, in fact, ordered.

B

bobble_bob

Started reading a BBC article on the launch, and stopped when i got to this

The mission is due to feature four spacewalks to help install the S6 truss segment to the starboard, or right, side of the station and the deployment of its solar arrays.

:roll:

M

MeteorWayne

bobble_bob":1ld1ey2p said:
Started reading a BBC article on the launch, and stopped when i got to this

The mission is due to feature four spacewalks to help install the S6 truss segment to the starboard, or right, side of the station and the deployment of its solar arrays.

:roll:

If they read the SDC forums, of course they would know that the shortening of the mission due to Wednesday's problem had cut out the last EVA. That's what happens when they have people write who don't pay enough attention :(

Very happy she launched OK.

I had to break off as I felt quite unwell all of sudden last night. OK today though.

Any way some nice images of the launch at the KSC media centre site.

2009-2096-m.jpg

2009-2095-m.jpg

2009-2088-m.jpg

2009-2087-m.jpg

2009-2068-m.jpg

2009-2061-m.jpg

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

Discovery has docked with the ISS about 10 minutes late due to comm issues...

M

MeteorWayne

Nobody's said anything directly (that I've heard) but there seemed to be some priority given to the 800 mm images from the RPM. Perhaps there is an issue with the thermal protection system? Just judging from the tome of the conversation.

S

scottb50

There are three docking ports for Soyus, why can't both a Shuttle and two Soyus' be there at the same time? I remember seeing drawings of two Shuttles docked, so that must have been, or still is, possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts