STS-127 2J/A Post Launch Mission Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newsartist

They must have meant 11:54 CDT for the satrt of the pitch maneuver?

They are still closing at this time.

M

MeteorWayne

Yes,once Mission Control takes over all times are given in CDT; Houston time.

N

newsartist

After completion of the pitch maneuver, they passed over the Strait of Gibraltar with beautiful weather on the ground.

I hope that view makes it into a hi-res image file!

T

Testing

I don't suppose the greater foam issue this mission
had anything to do with tanking seven times. Ya think?
Or was it eight with the leak test?

R

rybanis

Tonight, around 9:47 PM PST, I happened to catch the ISS/STS go over with binoculars (puny 8x21). Oh what a sight, with the perfect weather and clear skies (elevation 500 meters here). It was great being able to say to my wife that the dot moving over us has 13 people inside it.

Oh man.

M

MeteorWayne

Less than 10 minutes until the undocking of Endeavour from the ISS...live on NASA TV now.

S

shuttle_guy

"fkawi1 wrote:
And I noticed there appeared to be jets firing from tank. Are these just to get it away from the orbiter?
I had never witnessed that before and don't recall ever reading that the tank had its own thrusters? It would seem that wouldn't be necessary?

Those are the "tumble" thrusters, Ron.
I was watching that on NASA tv and they said it helps destroy the ET more completely.jeffinVa
quark"

No, there are no tumble thrusters on the ET. What you saw was the propellant tanks venting. The first few ETs did have tumble valves on the liquid oxygen vent line. They were designed to open to cause the ET to tumble however they were quickly found to not be required since the ET would vent without them.

N

newsartist

I've been out of touch more than I like.

What are the landing windows and weather prospects?

S

shuttle_guy

The first shot at KSC is a few min before 1100 EDT which is a very good time of day this time of year. The weather predicton looks good as of now.

T

Testing

They best get her down first try as later looks stormy.
Good to hear from you SG.

Some interesting mug shots from this mission.

Thunderstorm on: Friday 10th July 2009, which scuppered that launch attempt.
jsc2009e143027.jpg

STS 127 Endeavour launches.
sts127-s-043.jpg

Up, up & away.
sts127-s-048.jpg

External Tank post jettison.
s127e005015.jpg

ISS through aft flight deck wind on Endeavour during approach.
s127e006676.jpg

Endeavour approaches the ISS.
iss020e022362.jpg

Forward heat shield of Endeavour during Rendezvous Pitch Maneuver heat shield check.
iss020e021604.jpg

Egypt with the Nile, Nile delta, Sinai Peninsula & the Red Sea. Israel, Dead Sea. Jordan & northern Saudi Arabia.
s127e006561.jpg

Orbital Sunrise on STS 127 Endeavour docking day.
s127e006572.jpg

Dead Sea, River Jordan & parts of Israel & Jordan.
s127e008035.jpg

Docked Soyuz with Earth limb in backgound.
s127e008664.jpg

ISS after undocking with Endeavour.
s127e011200.jpg

ISS with Earth limb in background after undocking with Endeavour.
s127e011301.jpg

ISS with Earth limb in background after undocking with Endeavour.
s127e011246.jpg

Andrew Brown.

S

StrandedonEarthsince1970

Where can I find full-res versions of these images? I tried searching the NASA website, but no luck so far. Some of them would make excellent desktop backgrounds!

M

MeteorWayne

Weather is OK, not great with some thunderstorms to the southeast of the cape. The should remain far enough away but will need to be watched. Deorbit burn of 2 minutes 51 seconds in about an hour and a half (9:41 AM EDT) will reduce the orbiter's speed by a mere 207 mph, which is enough to bring it back to earth an hour later; landing for this attempt is scheduled for 10:48 AM EDT.

Here's the close in radar that shows the showers and thunderstorms:

http://www.intellicast.com/national/nex ... imate=true

M

MeteorWayne

Good morning, got here just in time. Go for deorbit burn just given for 9:41 AM EDT.

V

Vinterstellar

Thanks for reminding me to check this out on TV! I hope they land with all the trouble at the start, yeesh! :mrgreen:

EDIT - Yeah, right. War games and foolishness on TV! NASA TV it is, all hail ye! :twisted:

M

MeteorWayne

Wheel Stop, a beautiful landing on a beautiful morning in Florida.

V

Vinterstellar

Indeed! :mrgreen:

Vinfinity Vin Ó Whalen is very, very happy "the flying brick" The Shuttle Endeavour has landed!! Beautiful thing!!!! What great job, people! :^) NP ♫ NASA TV |m|
39 seconds ago · via Twitter · Comment · Like

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Shuttle Landing Today

A little later I will merge this into the STS-127 post launch thread for archival purposes.
MW

Re: Shuttle Landing Today

MeteorWayne":p84yzynl said:
A little later I will merge this into the STS-127 post launch thread for archival purposes.
MW

Hi Wayne,

I've actioned this.

Andrew Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.