Subjective feel of Mars weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xphobe

We read about martian windstorms, dust clouds, temp extremes, sounds, etc. But how would all these things feel to an unshielded human (assuming I wouldn't die from the thin oxygen-less atmosphere)?<br /><br />For example, given that the atmosphere is soo thin, how would a wind storm or dust devil compare to one on earth? Seems to me that fine dust blown around by a tenuous atmosphere wouldn't have much effect at all, even at high speeds.<br /><br />And could another person nearby hear you talking or yelling? Hitting a rock with a hammer?<br /><br />

V

vogon13

Lack of humidity would be annoying too. You would feel the cold as the moisture evaporated from your skin.<br /><br />Suspect the superoxides in the soil, and therefore the dust, would have a 'sharp' odor.<br /><br />Low pressure would definitely mute sounds.<br /><br />Suspect dimmer sunlight combined with higher UV might make the lighting subtly 'odd'.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

S

silylene old

Unless you shave your arms and legs, you'd definately feel a dust devil. Our body hair is acutely sensitive to even the most minor winds, such as a passing mosquito. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

N

najab

><i> If a dust devil passed directly over you, you probably wouldn't even notice.</i><p>I don't know about that one. The fact that they are able to pick up dust and carry it for long distances means that they must have some 'heft' to them.</p>

V

vogon13

I understood topic to be hypothetical. Of course, unprotected human would die pretty quick on Mars.<br /><br />Suspect all those chlorides in the soil would be skin irritants, too. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

Remember the "Mars Bunny"? A two-inch piece of material which was actually blown several feet by a "light breeze" in Eagle crater -- Opportunity's landing site. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

silylene old

<font color="yellow">Remember the "Mars Bunny"? A two-inch piece of material which was actually blown several feet by a "light breeze" in Eagle crater -- Opportunity's landing site. </font><br /><br />I thought it hopped several feet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

V

vogon13

Have they found calcium chloride?<br /><br />Nasty stuff, really stings on sweaty fingers.<br /><br />Know they found bromides, too. Probably almost as bad.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

B

bonzelite

interesting topic. from the look of the terrain, the surface of mars is worked over pretty good by the wind, to a far-reaching extent. so it must have some heft and some punch, despite it's near vacuum level of density. it would depend on how fast winds can actually brew up over land. for example, a 600mph wind on mars would be pretty gusty to a human, i'd think, nearly approximate to an 80 or 90mph wind on earth. <br /><br />maybe John knows something about the wind velocities on mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts