Subscription Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EarthlingX

How do i switch it off by default, i mean do i have to unset it at every post ?

I'm very picky about what i allow in my mail-box, this is not something that i'm willing to see. If this continues, i will most likely junk-filter it.

Working on it ... done.

If you are bored, i have some better ideas, like more emoticons, more post editing tools, for a warm-up, or option to see all posts in one thread without loading pages, and i can think of more, no problem.

D

doublehelix

EarthlingX":3ibfw7kh said:
How do i switch it off by default, i mean do i have to unset it at every post ?

I'm very picky about what i allow in my mail-box, this is not something that i'm willing to see. If this continues, i will most likely junk-filter it.

Working on it ... done.

If you are bored, i have some better ideas, like more emoticons, more post editing tools, for a warm-up, or option to see all posts in one thread without loading pages, and i can think of more, no problem.

EarthlingX, the default is that you are subscribed to nothing. You will have to manually subscribe to what you want to subscribe to. So, no flood of emails unless that's what you want. :cool:

As far as additional post editing tools, what did you have in mind?

-dh

E

EarthlingX

doublehelix":3a9dkm6d said:
EarthlingX, the default is that you are subscribed to nothing. You will have to manually subscribe to what you want to subscribe to. So, no flood of emails unless that's what you want. :cool:
Thank you. I just started receiving this notifications. It is for some reason set on by default, i certainly didn't do it. What's more, it's usually in the part of the screen bellow the editing area, so you don't need to see it when you press 'submit'. Will pay attention, and report if this continues. I apologise, but i'am a bit touchy on the matter of email, i somehow always manage to shoot first and ask questions later ..
If you added this feature recently, i obviously didn't notice, it might have come with the setting 'on' by default, and that would explain the 'yada-yada' .. :roll: And no, i have no suggestions as to what to do better next time about it, this way people at least notice ..

doublehelix":3a9dkm6d said:
As far as additional post editing tools, what did you have in mind?
-dh
Mmm... :) tables ? javascript ? What can be done with BBcodes ? Setting dimensions of the external image shown on the page ? Can i go through the PhpBB candy store ? What are the limits ?

E

EarthlingX

Just a word of warning, to whomever applies :

- Notify me when a reply is posted

is by default set, you have to unset it after every posting, if you don't want it. This could probably be solved with another cookie entry, or some other session flag, preferably linked to the profile, on the settings page, if that is not too complicated.

D

doublehelix

EarthlingX":2dsykptq said:

is by default set, you have to unset it after every posting, if you don't want it. This could probably be solved with another cookie entry, or some other session flag, preferably linked to the profile, on the settings page, if that is not too complicated.

This has not been my experience, EarthlingX - I've only been subscribed to things I want to subscribe to, and no unwanted emails have arrived in my box. No one else has come forth with a similar experience to yours. So, is anyone else having a bad time with subscriptions?

I will admit, the phpBB UI is not the best. I looks like you are already subscribed with that little check box to the left of "Subscribe forum/topic", but you're not. The box has to have an X in it with the adjacent words "Unsubscribe forum/topic" for you to be truly subscribed to it.

Also, if you follow this path:
Account Options --> Forums--> Edit Posting Defaults
Notify me upon replies by default: Y/N (yes, if you want to always have replies/emails sent to you)
It should be off by default.

Additionally, EarthlingX, I can turn the feature off for you, personally, if you wish. Please let me know.

And please, if anyone else is having a problem with this, post here! :mrgreen:

-dh

E

EarthlingX

doublehelix":zub3o7p5 said:
EarthlingX":zub3o7p5 said:

This has not been my experience, EarthlingX - I've only been subscribed to things I want to subscribe to, and no unwanted emails have arrived in my box. No one else has come forth with a similar experience to yours. So, is anyone else having a bad time with subscriptions?
Let me show you an example, after i pressed 'quote' :
NotifySettings.jpg

I will admit, the phpBB UI is not the best. I looks like you are already subscribed with that little check box to the left of "Subscribe forum/topic", but you're not. The box has to have an X in it with the adjacent words "Unsubscribe forum/topic" for you to be truly subscribed to it.
I can not see nothing like that on the post page. Nothing wrong with PhpBB, very nice program, i don't know anything better for the purpose, except variations with a lot more whistles and blows. If you are interested, i can do some digging, and show you what i'am talking about. I can also set-up experimental machine, or two, but will not do that, if you don't want me, because i can find other things to kill time with.

Also, if you follow this path:
Account Options --> Forums--> Edit Posting Defaults
Notify me upon replies by default: Y/N (yes, if you want to always have replies/emails sent to you)
It should be off by default.

Additionally, EarthlingX, I can turn the feature off for you, personally, if you wish. Please let me know.

And please, if anyone else is having a problem with this, post here! :mrgreen:

-dh
Thank you. That option is now there, it was not before. It was the first place where i went looking, before complaining.

D

doublehelix

Be sure you haven't selected to subscribe to an entire forum. If you subscribe to an entire forum, you will get replies from every thread in that forum. You can find the box to check/uncheck at the bottom of each forum index page.

-dh

E

EarthlingX

Very well hidden, thank you for that info. Oh, and notify is still set, even after all that un-setting.
Will try more.

I was, of course, not subscribed to anything. Notify is not set on edit.

edit. It is not on post anymore, either, at least here.
edit2. It is still set on other threads. Checking settings .. Notify set on 'no', blank. I have to comment, it works really fast.

E

EarthlingX

It is not set by default anymore, anywhere else either, thank you.

D

doublehelix

EarthlingX, so are you all set and ok with the feature? Remember, I can turn it off for you specifically if you like, if it becomes too much of a headache.

-dh

E

EarthlingX

doublehelix":4bp7huny said:
EarthlingX, so are you all set and ok with the feature? Remember, I can turn it off for you specifically if you like, if it becomes too much of a headache.

-dh
No, i'am ok with it, if it's switched off ;) It might be useful for people who don't spend so much time on the forum as i do, and i hope they will appreciate the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts