Sun Pillar In Red and Violet

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dragon04

That's a way cool photo! Maybe they used some filter to get the violet effect? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

T

twocanntwo

The guys said they saw the pillar befor they took the picture,but then, we where not there, who knows.<br /><br /> tag your it.

C

CalliArcale

I believe it. I've seen skies that looked like that. It's gorgeous, and a real treat when it happens.<br /><br />Even better -- last December, there was one gloriously cold morning. I say "gloriously cold" because there was diamond dust in the air! Diamond dust can only occur on very cold days. It's ice crystals suspended in the air, and this produces startlingly beautiful atmospheric effects. Just before sunrise, I saw THREE sun pillars, all a deep pinkish orange. Why three? One was for the actual sun, and the others were from parhelia (sundogs). I knew you could get pillars from parhelia, but I didn't realize you could get those pillars before sunrise. Then the sun came up and it was a stunning display -- painfully brilliant parhelia, a full halo, a parhelic arc on both sides, multiple pillars.....and the colors!!! It was unbelievable. It evolved over the next fifteen minutes, becoming whiter and whiter. Then I had to go into work. But that was a truly magical morning. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts