SunShine - Webchat with Danny Boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flynn

Absolutely Cracking.<br /><br />This movie is worth the entrance fee for the Soundtrack alone. Terrific special effects, great plot perhaps a little unoriginal but still excellent. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

J

jmilsom

We discussed it a little in the upcoming movie thread. It starts screening tomorrow down here in Melbourne. Can't wait to see it. It's a while since I've seen a new, good space flick. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

F

flynn

Ooops sorry, I've move the discussion over there <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

F

flynn

Ok, I'll take this thread in a new direction rather than waste it. <br /><br />Empire has an interview with director Danny Boyle.<br /><br />http://www.empireonline.com/features/dannyboylewebchat/<br /><br />Some highlights.<br /><br /><b>Danny, great to have you here. Let's face it, thinking about space a bit too much can make your head reaaally hurt. How many times whilst making the film did you yourself go through existential moments of "why am i here"?</b><br />Pretty much all the time really. Your head kind of pulses when you hear some of the facts about it. It loses five thousand million tonnes of mass every second. And yet it will burn for another four and a half billion years. You can't get your head around that - you just have to submit! <br /><br /><b>My question to you Mr. Boyle is during the start of the production of Sunshine did you make the decision to cast an international cast to break free of the predictable and lets face it the unlikely conclusion that only one nation can save Earth?</b><br />Yeah. In truth, in 50 years time, it will be entirely Asian. They will be leading the space race. Between India, China, Japan, Korea etc. But you have to have some Americans still in it, for the cinematic market I guess. But it was a chance to work with Michelle Yeoh, that was the real reason! The coolest Bond girl ever... <br /><br />I'm sure that'll get some reaction.<br /><br /><b>Hello Danny, Its been reported that Sunshine was at times a pretty damn difficult shoot, will it be a while before you return to the Sci-Fi genre?</b><br />I will die before I return to sci-fi. <br /><br /><b>I heard a funny rumour that people approached you for Transformers, is this true or just a big fat lie?</b><br />(Laughs) All I can say about Transformers is that I hope Michael Bay doesn't find himself near me when he's on fire. <br /><br />I like that one.<br /><br /><b> On the Empire webchat with Neil Marshal, I</b> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

J

jmilsom

There was a great interview with him on the Australian show <i>At the Movies</i>:<br /><br />Excerpt:<br /><br />DANNY BOYLE: .......And space is like - I mean, I've seen every space movie, you know, and I love them, but to think about doing one is terrifying, you know. I think, "How do they do it?", and you have to go back and watch them all and see how they're done, you know. So ...<br /><br />MARGARET: What's so difficult about it?<br /><br />DANNY BOYLE: Everything! And, if anybody ever tells you anything else, they're lying. It's like zero G, like how do people float in space, in space movies, all of that. It takes an eternity. It's like three times as worse as filming on water. It's like everything has to be invented. <br /><br />When you are in space, you can't just suddenly have something appear, you know. It has to be all sealed inside the ship. So you have to make all the decisions beforehand. And there's nowhere to turn to. There's nowhere to cut to. <br /><br />You're suddenly at a scene in a park or suddenly - you know, you're just in this ship, and you can't increase the number of characters. You can't suddenly think, "Why don't we have somebody at" - you know, it's like that's it, you know, because they are 56 million miles from Earth when we join them and, you know - so it's pretty, you know - it's there and you've got to have made the right decisions because you've got to live with them, you know.<br /><br />FULL INTERVIEW HERE <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.