Super massive black hole hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

acsinnz

In a recent article I read that astronomers are finding super massive black holes at the centre of some galaxy. Does this apply to all galaxies??
CliveS

M

MeteorWayne

It appears to be the case in most, but not necessarily all, galaxies.

A

acsinnz

Thanks Wayne
I will predict that all galaxies will be found to have a black hole at the centre as a magnetic reference point; so that the stars in the galaxy can sense where all the other stars are and feedback to avoid collisions.
What if the stars collide in a small galaxy could it become unstable and collapsed inwards? Do you think a vibrating pulsar and finally a magnetar would appear?
CliveS

M

MeteorWayne

It's not magnetic but gravitational.

As I said, MOST galaxies appear to have a black hole at the center, not all.

It does not affect collisions, that is purely governed by the orbit of each individual star. Sometimes (rarely) they hit, juist as comets and asteroids hit planets in the solar system.

And BTW, the stars in a galaxy technically do not orbit around the black hole (for those that have one). All the stars, and even the black hole itself orbit the center of mass of the whole galaxy (the barycenter).

From the perspective of the galaxy as a whole, the collision of two stars would have no effect at all. The same amout of mass (minus in tiny amount of energy liberated) is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts