Superluminal or Faster Than Light Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yree

Light Speed<br /><br />In Special Relativity, the superluminic velocity is a barrier impossible to break. GR and SR have the same mathematical, physical, and philosophical limitation. According to SR's KE equation, a particle needs all the energy available in the Universe needed to reach the light speed.<br /><br />In Autodynamics, any particle big or small could transform its mass into an energetic photon through the decay process. There is no contradiction in AD (as in SR) between increasing KE and simultaneous mass increment. When KE increases, mass decreases.<br /><br />The Experiment<br /><br />In Autodynamics, one possibility for obtaining superluminic speed is by using photons. Photons travel at the speed of light (a conflict for SR). If photon interaction at light velocity (laser beams - or energy absorbed by photons) could be integrated into a new particle, that particle should decay into a new super-photon traveling at superluminic speed.<br /><br />Superluminic velocity is not problematic for Autodynamics. The theory has no frames in relative motion: only "phenomenon" and "observer." To shift from one observer to another, the velocity transformation equation is used (velocity sum) that maintains energy and momentum conservation.<br /><br />See Carezani's explanation about a recent Faster-than-Light experiment involving Cesium.<br />http://www.autodynamics.org/light_speed.html<br />Smarandache Hypothesis<br />Smarandache (1998) proposed that as a consequence of the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox, there is no speed limit in the universe (i.e., the speed of light c is not a maximum at which information can be transmitted) and that arbitrary speeds of information or mass transfer can occur. These assertions fly in the face of both theory and experiment, as they violate both Einstein's special theory of relativity and causality and lack any experimental support.<br />It is true that modern experiments h

T

tom_hobbes

Yep, this is the science fiction forum. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#339966"> I wish I could remember<br /> But my selective memory<br /> Won't let me</font><font size="2" color="#99cc00"> </font><font size="3" color="#339966"><font size="2">- </font></font><font size="1" color="#339966">Mark Oliver Everett</font></p><p> </p> </div>

E

edge_of_reason

Really, is it really worth making so much noise about FTL and the like? When the fastest speeds we've ever attained with any man made spaceflight is still a thousand years from even 1% light-speed.<br /><br />But then, if the physicists are willing to admit they are talking in the realm of 'sci-fi' then okay. But no, they got it all worked out with string theory and super-string theory and other kinds of intellectual &%$#@!ion!<br /><br />Sorry... so sorry... to hurt anybody's feelings here. I just like a bit of realism, that's all.<br /><br />Edge

L

le3119

Revised Response: there are a lot of ideas about FTL travel, and I'm sure one day we'll be able to zip off to 18 Scorpii or Lambda Serpentis in Galactic Superliners, but until then, design an experiment or something to give us something to believe in.....

P

paulrogers

Think of this, even if we mere caveman don't have a ship to go FTL or even close. We will soon be running in to the light barrier in our computer say 50 years or so. If we can go FTL then we will have 50 years of shooting down some bad ideals. And if not it is still fun.

M

mariecurie

Thinking is the best way to travel.<br /><br />Let's fix up the Earth before we rush to the stars. We are going to be stuck here for a good while longer anyhow.<br /><font color="orange"><br />Our lifetime may be the last that will be lived out in a technological society. <br />Arthur C. Clarke</font>

V

vogon13

Spice!<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

R

robotical

Unfortunately, the Earth will never be fixed. We could spend all our resources trying to fix our problems forever and never fix them. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nacnud

I don't think there will ever be real FTL but it is interesting to watch authors break one aspect of physics and try and work out what all the concequences are. Still SF based on long journy times is far more intersting as they tend to be about people rather that fixing plot holes with new technology as in trek.

S

serak_the_preparer

True. No matter how far out into the universe we are able to run, we will bring all our flaws and failings with us. So long as we remain human, our society on Earth will be plagued with the same old problems. Those problems will follow us into space. No avoiding that. But if we go out into space, every fresh start we make is a chance for new ideas and new cultures.<br /><br />And, of course, by going out into space we take a major step toward ensuring the survival of our species and civilization. I choose survival.<br /><br />And Nacnud is right. FTL is fun in science fiction, but the real challenge is to imagine how starflight could occur without it. Especially since any voyage we make to the stars is far more likely to move below the speed of light, rather than above it.

R

robotical

Giant multi-generational colony ships. Something like the Marathon from the Marathon series (a Bungie 3D shooter for the Mac). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.