Superman: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

I was watching it on AMC last night, the director's cut. Wow!!! Brought back a lot of memories. Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder were terrific! Beautiful photography and John Williams' best score ever. Still holds up very, very well, IMO. :D

D

drwayne

I remember waiting on a long line to see that movie! At the time, the notion of bringing a character like Superman
to the big screen was somewhat novel....

A

a_lost_packet_

jim48":9qdj77w8 said:
I was watching it on AMC last night, the director's cut. Wow!!! Brought back a lot of memories. Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder were terrific! Beautiful photography and John Williams' best score ever. Still holds up very, very well, IMO. :D

Dangit, I missed that!

I love that movie. Gotta get a DVD of it one of these days.

Every score is William's best... I've never heard anything of his that wasn't perfect. If a movie has John William's work in it, that's enough for me to buy a ticket for it.

J

jim48

I remember standing in a long line to see that one, too. In many cases Williams' score was better than the movie, but Superman was his absolute best. Krypton, the beautiful Smallville music which almost begged lyrics, the Superman march and of course one of the greatest love themes of all times!

Z

ZenGalacticore

Interesting also how they didn't bother to compose a new musical score for the latest Superman movie, but instead used the one from the '79 edition.

I couldn't imagine back in '79, using the Superman score from the 1950's show, just around 25 years prior. Here we are 30 years later, and they're using the old tune.

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":2egq8mx0 said:
Interesting also how they didn't bother to compose a new musical score for the latest Superman movie, but instead used the one from the '79 edition.

I couldn't imagine back in '79, using the Superman score from the 1950's show, just around 25 years prior. Here we are 30 years later, and they're using the old tune.

Actually for the last Superman movie they did compose an original score but kept Williams' Superman theme, which I thought was a nice tribute. What a disappointment that movie was!!!

Z

ZenGalacticore

Yeah, I heard that it blew, didn't actually see it. Saw the clips, and that's when I heard the Williams score. I figured they re-used it throughout the film.

Was it worse than the flat, non-theatrical, non-cinematic "Planet of the Apes" remake?

A

a_lost_packet_

ZenGalacticore":1xdofbzj said:
...Was it worse than the flat, non-theatrical, non-cinematic "Planet of the Apes" remake?

I'd say it wasn't.

The POTA remake was pretty bad although I did like Helen Bohnam Carter as "Ari." But, I always like her characters, it seems. I didn't mind Tim Roth's character, Thade, too much even though the character was way over the top. I just hated the story and the finale... Blech.. The token Heston scene could have gone a bit better. I would like to have seen him as a human. But, that would probably have been too distracting for the audience and too far over the top. He would have stolen any scene just by his presence and caused too much of a sensation. (Like Connery did in Costner's Robin Hood.)

But, the last Superman movie "Superman Returns" wasn't too bad IMO. I was expecting far worse, to be honest. I think they kept to the original Superman: The Movie "flavor" for Superman Returns. But, I also think there were lost opportunities and a bit of story I didn't like, IIRC. In short, I think it's worth the watch as long as you don't have to pay too much for it. I wouldn't class it as a "Really Sucked", but I wouldn't class it as a "Win" either. It's "OK."

D

drwayne

I didn't see the Returns movie until it came out on DVD. It was on the bottom edge of OK from my point of view.

A

a_lost_packet_

drwayne":l0jghd8o said:
I didn't see the Returns movie until it came out on DVD. It was on the bottom edge of OK from my point of view.

I suppose that the fact that it exceeded my abysmal expectations could have clouded my judgment a bit. I don't remember it too clearly so, it couldn't have been too terrible... unless my mind is enacting an automatic override in order to protect itself from a possible short circuit...

J

JasonChapman

Superman 2 Rocks! 'Kneel before Zod'
I wouldn't seeing a modern day remake, especially with the fight between Superman and the other three.

Got Superman Returns on DVD good film, loved the fact they kept the orginal score. When I get around to it I'll have to get the other movies.

J

jim48

JasonChapman":1dcrtvvq said:
Superman 2 Rocks! 'Kneel before Zod'
I wouldn't seeing a modern day remake, especially with the fight between Superman and the other three.

Got Superman Returns on DVD good film, loved the fact they kept the orginal score. When I get around to it I'll have to get the other movies.

It might interest you to know, Jason, that Superman and Superman II were mainly British productions. All of the interiors were filmed on the 007 sound stages. Kneel before Zod!!! :twisted:

J

JasonChapman

A lot of films were shot at Pinewood and shepperton, including the star wars trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts