Telescope eyepieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scopenoob

What type of telescope eyepiece is good and has good eye relief? I wear glasses. Please name a type, not just linking me to products. I need a high power piece

C

CalliArcale

BTW, unless you've got really fantastically bad vision or a severe astigmatism, you should be able to adjust the focus of your telescope to correct for your vision. That's what I do, although then it means everybody else has to adjust the focus too, and I have to put my glasses back on when I want to swap eyepieces. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

scopenoob

Nice info, eddie. Now what type of eyepiece? That way I can have boarder choices. My (going-to-be) telescope has a focal ratio of F/8. Also will a 25mm plossl have good eye relief? <br /><br />Btw, I wear 3.50 degee glasses

B

bbrock

What are you willing to spend? The Orion Epic ED II run around $60 with 20mm eye relief. These are good EP's for every day use. I use them with a focal ratio of f/4.7. <br /><br />The Tele Vue Radians are probably top of the line. These work very well for fast focal ratios. Their cost is about $250 each with 20mm eye relief. I own two of these for high power planitary and lunar viewing. <br /><br />There are several brands between these price ranges. Plossls do not give long eye relief. <br /><br />You tell us what you are willing to spend per EP. <br /><br />Clear Skies<br />Bill

S

scopenoob

oh lol<br />I need a eyepiece for high power but I wear glasses

B

bbrock

I guess you mean Expanse EP. I own three. 20mm, 9mm and 6mm. The 20mm does not work well with a fast focal ratio telescope. The center of the field of view is OK, but the outer 1/3 has doves for stars. The 9mm is good and the 6mm remains my favorite EP for general use. The 6mm gives me 100x with my AstroView and 200x with my XT10. <br /><br />Next year I'm replacing the 20mm Expanse with a 16mm TeleView Nagler. Until then, I'll live with it. <br /><br />Clear Skies<br />Bill

B

bbrock

Crazy<br /><br />Thanks for the info. I'll look into them. Actually, I was looking for an EP focal length between 15 and 20mm. I have a 25mm EPIC I use for first EP before going higher in power. I was using the 20 but I don't like it much. My next EP down is the Expanse 9mm. I was going to keep the 25 in use and go to the 16mm Nagler for star hopping and searching for targets. My next choice was the 15mm Panoptic. The new EP is intended for wide field searching for targets before going higher in power. Then again, 16mm will give me 75x with the XT10 and 37.5x with the AstroView. This might be very nice viewing of open clusters and nebula. <br /><br />Much Thanks for the suggestions. <br /><br />Clear Skies<br />Bill

S

scopenoob

About the Epic ED-2 Eyepieces, What if I get a 3.7mm eyepiece?

S

scopenoob

Sometimes I hate being a 12 year old and not having a job (>.<) . I can't afford anything!

S

scopenoob

I can't hire myself out because the people around here would rather do it themselves, and my birthday is a week after christmas, when people are low on moeny. The best birthday gift I got last year was a picture frame (-.-)

K

kimb68

I just bought a 5.7mm Antares W70 series. This is an awesome bargain: 70 degree apparent field, about 15mm eye relief -- and I only paid $47 plus shipping from these guys:<br /><br />http://www.meridiantelescopes.com/w70series.htm<br /><br />Seriously, you could save up enough money for one of these puppies pretty quickly.

S

scopenoob

Will a 3.7 eyepiece be.... overpowering for my telescope? It's just a Orion XT6 dob.... (f/8)

K

kimb68

I hope I have my math right: A 6" f/8 scope should have a focal length of about 1200mm. So a 5.7mm eyepice will give you a magnification of about 210x. This is not a huge magnification, so that would probably be a good eyepiece for your scope. <br /><br />When I say good, 210x is a good magnification for planets, planetary nebulae, and faint galaxies -- that is, small objects. A better, all-round magnifcation might be more like 80x, which would require more like a 15mm eyepice.<br /><br />Of course, your ability to see anything crisply at 210x will depend on the steadiness of the skies, whether your scope is properly cooled down to the ambient temperature (2-3 hours for Dobs, generally), and whether your optics are collimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts