• We hope all of you have a great holiday season and an incredible New Year. Thanks so much for being part of the Space community!

Telescope

Aug 29, 2020
Which is the best affordable telescope I can buy in India?
Consider grinding/polishing your own mirrors for a Dobson (Newtonian) by referring to "Sidewalk Astronomy" website http://www.sidewalkastronomers.us/id5.html where U can find instructions to build ur own> I did & found the most difficult part is FINE GRINDING where the solution is to use GRAVITY as a force> This is NOT in instructions> I learned it from a Danish Optics Tech who polished mirrors for NSO Nat'l Solar Obs. nearby> For a 10" mirror take a 7.5lb bar bell weight, & pace it upon the grinding slab (an 8" blank) but w./a slab of foam cushion 4" thick between the weight & blank for even distribution of the gravity load> Push that around on the 10" mirror and U get a perfect sphere> Your cost will be ~$300 total
It is a "Life Changing" experiencde to have built your OWN Telescope> Enjoy but be prepared to watch the sun traverse the sky for a few wkends as U grind away ha

Aug 29, 2020
CelestronFirstScope @$50 is a 3"CA (Clear Aperture) Reflector, but IF U google "Telescopes" U can find USED 'scopes> No need for more than 10" CA IF U live in a populated area b/c of light pollution, but larger the better & Reflectors do not have color aberations like a lens does (more clarity in colors) Good hunting~

ASK THE COMMUNITY