Telescopes and time

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SirThinksalot

First, a little about me... I will always believe that we (humans) are the conduit for the universe, let's face it , we're made from star dust so we are , as far as I can tell , the universe trying to understand itself... my question may have been asked a thousand times , but here goes.. If i peer into the universe with the most powerfull telescope , and observe a planet that is light years away , and then someone makes a telescope that's ten times as powerfull, do you honestly believe I would see something different ? Also what are the calculations for telescopes when "looking into the past", in other words, do you subtract time from different powered telescopes ?

M

MeteorWayne

SirThinksalot":4kg8mq8u said:
First, a little about me... I will always believe that we (humans) are the conduit for the universe, let's face it , we're made from star dust so we are , as far as I can tell , the universe trying to understand itself... my question may have been asked a thousand times , but here goes.. If i peer into the universe with the most powerfull telescope , and observe a planet that is light years away , and then someone makes a telescope that's ten times as powerfull, do you honestly believe I would see something different ? Also what are the calculations for telescopes when "looking into the past", in other words, do you subtract time from different powered telescopes ?

Yes, a more powerful telescope can collect more light, allowing you to see further into the Universe. In other words, it can see fainter objects, and since things in general are dimmer the further away they are, it could see further. But any object seen by both telescopes (the ones that the smaller scope can see) are the same distance away (in light years), and therefore the light left there the same amount of time ago.

O

origin

SirThinksalot":ivvqnrr0 said:
First, a little about me... I will always believe that we (humans) are the conduit for the universe, let's face it , we're made from star dust so we are , as far as I can tell , the universe trying to understand itself

All life is made from star dust so maybe life is just the universe trying to excrete on itself.

Just a thought. Makes you wonder though doesn't it?

M

MeteorWayne

It's very "green" for earth week. Reduce, recycle, reuse! :)

S

SirThinksalot

I was thinking perhaps my question was misinterpreted, i was trying to find out if "time" changes when viewing anything through a telescope, then i realized, the light traveling to my naked eye, from any object, is the same distance as the light traveling to the end of my telescope, but in my mind , I felt that I was bringing my eye closer to an object by looking through a telescope...perhaps I can make a sci-fi movie based on the "idea" that a more powerfull telescope can "see" into the future of a stars past...or maybe not. Thanks for the input, oh and by the way , Do the "god" questions land here often?- I was under the impression this was an intelligent community...

M

MeteorWayne

by the way , Do the "god" questions land here often?-
Unless it gains some scientific traction, it will be moved soon. We'll see how it develops. SInce god is unexplainable, that forum is probably the one it will wind up in.

Welcome to SDC, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts