The 1st 'major lunar standstill' in more than 18 years is about to occur. Here's how to see it

"In addition to the April 8 total solar eclipse and vibrant displays of auroras, there's another celestial treat for skywatchers this year: the first "major lunar standstill" since 2006. During this event, the moon rises and sets at its most extreme northerly and southerly positions on the horizon, reaching its highest and lowest points in the 18.6-year lunar cycle."

Someone is confused here. The phenomena of a standstill occurs at both extremes, northerly and southerly. During THIS event, it will be the southerly extreme. The article never gets around to telling us this.

The article makes no sense in places and never gets around to telling us the full story.

Reactions: m4n8tpr8
Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
I am confused by these lines

During this period, the moon...rises at its very highest northeasterly point and sets at its very highest northwesterly point...it also rises at its most southeasterly point and sets at its most southwesterly point.

The implication being its highest northeasterly point = is most southeasterly point and same for northwesterly and southwesterly. That can't be right. I am assuming Bill Slugg's explantion is correct.

Yes, the lunar standstills occur symmetrically around due east and also due west. During one type of lunar standstill, the Moon rises about 27 degrees north of due east and sets 27 degrees north of due west. In the other type, the one we are having today, the Moon rises 27 degrees south of due east and sets 27 degrees south of due west.

Those are nominal numbers. For my location today, the Moon rises 29° south of due east and it sets at 27° south of due west.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
From the following paragraph, I have no idea what I am looking for. Big difference in what? How long do I have to stand in the same spot to see the effect? The reference to binoculars and a "good backyard telescope," while not required, only serve to confuse the reader further. If I zoom into the moon, is the "phenomena" more or less obvious?

And why is the article illustrated with an image that makes reference to something that "will" (future tense) happen in the past?

The full Hunter's Moon will rise on Oct. 20, 2021. (Image credit: Space.com / Josh Dinner)

To observe these phenomena, watch from exactly the same location, and you'll notice a big difference. A pair of stargazing binoculars or a good backyard telescope aren't necessary to notice the effect, but they may help you zoom in on Earth's fully-illuminated satellite to get the most out of your lunar skywatching.

Jun 20, 2024
Visit site
I'm confused by this statement: "On June 21, the sun will rise and set at its most northeasterly and northwesterly points, while the full Strawberry Moon will rise and set at its most northeasterly and northwesterly points."

Isn't the Strawberry Moon rising and setting at its furthest southeast/southwest points?

Latest posts