The Center of the Galaxy

• Thread starter thewritingwriter89
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thewritingwriter89

High everyone!&nbsp; This is my first post at this forum and probably not my last.&nbsp; I am writing a book, and the center of the galaxy (or rather, multiple galaxies) plays a very pivotal role in the plot.&nbsp; I need to know everything!&nbsp; I am trying to get a feel for what the center of a galaxy looks like, feels like (is it hot, would there be increased pressure on a ships hull), and most of all, could something survive there.&nbsp; I know very little about this particular aspect of space, and ironically, it is a cornerstone of my book.&nbsp; Any good links would be greatly appreciated because I've had a really hard time getting good information by searching on the Internet.&nbsp; Like I said, I don't know a whole lot of terminology&nbsp;so I may have to ask a lot of questions.&nbsp; I don't really know the level of expertise on this forum, but if possible, I would prefer to have experts on the other end of the conversation&nbsp;(no offense to anyone, I am just trying to make this book as scientifically sound as I can).&nbsp; Thanks in advance for your replies; I'm looking forward to gleaning as much knowledge from you guys as I can! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>High everyone!&nbsp; This is my first post at this forum and probably not my last.&nbsp; I am writing a book, and the center of the galaxy (or rather, multiple galaxies) plays a very pivotal role in the plot.&nbsp; I need to know everything!&nbsp; I am trying to get a feel for what the center of a galaxy looks like, feels like (is it hot, would there be increased pressure on a ships hull), and most of all, could something survive there.&nbsp; I know very little about this particular aspect of space, and ironically, it is a cornerstone of my book.&nbsp; Any good links would be greatly appreciated because I've had a really hard time getting good information by searching on the Internet.&nbsp; Like I said, I don't know a whole lot of terminology&nbsp;so I may have to ask a lot of questions.&nbsp; I don't really know the level of expertise on this forum, but if possible, I would prefer to have experts on the other end of the conversation&nbsp;(no offense to anyone, I am just trying to make this book as scientifically sound as I can).&nbsp; Thanks in advance for your replies; I'm looking forward to gleaning as much knowledge from you guys as I can! <br />Posted by thewritingwriter89</DIV><br /><br />Well, the center of most galaxies is a black hole if that helps.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>High everyone!&nbsp; This is my first post at this forum and probably not my last.&nbsp; I am writing a book, and the center of the galaxy (or rather, multiple galaxies) plays a very pivotal role in the plot.&nbsp; I need to know everything!&nbsp; I am trying to get a feel for what the center of a galaxy looks like, feels like (is it hot, would there be increased pressure on a ships hull), and most of all, could something survive there.&nbsp; I know very little about this particular aspect of space, and ironically, it is a cornerstone of my book.&nbsp; Any good links would be greatly appreciated because I've had a really hard time getting good information by searching on the Internet.&nbsp; Like I said, I don't know a whole lot of terminology&nbsp;so I may have to ask a lot of questions.&nbsp; I don't really know the level of expertise on this forum, but if possible, I would prefer to have experts on the other end of the conversation&nbsp;(no offense to anyone, I am just trying to make this book as scientifically sound as I can).&nbsp; Thanks in advance for your replies; I'm looking forward to gleaning as much knowledge from you guys as I can! <br /> Posted by thewritingwriter89</DIV></p><p>A couple links to start with:</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Center</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermassive_black_hole</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>You're not the first writer to pick the brains of the members here.&nbsp; About a year ago, one writer actually sent me a signed copy of his first book he published.&nbsp; Wasn't too bad and I don't recall any glaring errors other than one he purposefully took liberties with.&nbsp; Good luck and welcome to SDC.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

M

michaelmozina

<p>http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16247-star-paths-reveal-secrets-of-milky-ways-black-hole.html</p><p>The path of stars that are found near the core of the galaxy would tend to suggest that a very massive object sits in the middle of it, and that massive gravitational object has a direct impact on the trajectory of stars in the core. </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

D

Doc_Grey

Nice picture in todays APOD of the galactic core area as a matter of fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts