The Earth in Venus or Mars orbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

remcot

1 What happens with climate and life on Earth when Earth comes in closer orbit to the Sun ,about as close like Venus is to the Sun?<br />2 What happens when Earth is is orbit around the Sun as far like the orbit of Mars at its farthest distance to the Sun? Can you try to explain this? Thank you. remcot

Q

qso1

remcot:<br />1 What happens with climate and life on Earth when Earth comes in closer orbit to the Sun ,about as close like Venus is to the Sun?<br /><br />Me:<br />While we cannot know for certain, if the process above is a gradual one, life may evolve to the conditions present at Venus orbit. Advanced life forms starting with some species of insects and above may die off due to the ever increasing heat generated in the atmosphere as a result of being too close to the sun. Assuming the greenhouse effect does not set in right away, Earths temperature will be much lower than Venus daytime temp, that is until the extreme heat and rotation slowdown occurs. Liquid water would boil away once the temperature exceeds 100 C.<br /><br />2 What happens when Earth is is orbit around the Sun as far like the orbit of Mars at its farthest distance to the Sun? Can you try to explain this? Thank you. remcot<br /><br />Me:<br />I'd say it would probably be a better host for life for one simple reason. Earth is large enough to retain most of its atmosphere which would keep the temperatures a bit mor tolerable but...good bye tropics. Hello large polar caps and colder climates. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

D

drwayne

There was a fascinating book that came out some years ago titled, I think -<br /><br />"What if The Moon Didn't Exist"<br /><br />In which a lot of questions of this nature are dealt with. My copy is around here somewhere - but things are still in somewhat of a disarray after the move.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

N

nexium

If Earth moved suddenly to the Venus orbit, the average temperature would increase about one degree f per day. By day 5 the tropics (near sea level) would be too hot for humans outside for more than an hour, even in the shade.<br />In the next 5 days, millions of death's (from too hot and humid) because of failure of the supply of food, water and other essentials) would occur occur the next 5 days, during which people would need to leave the tropics, or face a life expectancy of days.<br />By the 11th day, the temperature would not be increasing as rapidly, but the rising temperature would continue increasing for centuries, eventually melting all the ice caps, and warming the ocean bottom water above 4 degrees c = 39 degrees f, which is the maximum density of water.<br />Eventually only the highest elevations near the center of Antarctica would be inhabitatal outside except when the 200 degrees f winds blow in from the rest of planet Earth. The colonys at Antarctica and the highest peaks near Mount Everest might survive long term, if they kept high technology. Neil

D

dragon04

Based on your comments, how significant a factor would the Earth's albedo be?<br /><br />Furthermore, if one were able to vent atmosphere from Earth, could we achieve an atmospheric pressure that would balance the increased solar energy and still be of sufficient pressure to support life as we know it? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

Use the inverse square law. Mars orbits the sun at approx 1.5 AU. 0.5 AU further out makes the sun appear only half as big as from Earth overall. Mars therefore recieves only half the sunlight & energy that Earth does. I think that if the Earth was to swap places with Mars, much of Earth would freeze, possibly globally. <br /><br />Venus orbits about 0.7 AU from the sun, so therefore Venus receives almost twice as much solar energy than Earth. Swap the two & I think the Earth would over time become more like Venus. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

N

nexium

I think 3488 is correct. Albedo would increase with temperature, but not enough to keep Earth livable. We could perhaps reduce the nitrogen in our atmosphere from 78% to 1%, but I don't think that would help more than 5 degrees c = 9 degrees f. We need all the oxygen for breathing 5 miles above sea level, which might be the only location cool enough other than the center of Antarctica. Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts