The implications of an empty universe on space/time

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

captdude

Just like the concept of movement ceases to have meaning in a universe that holds only one object; I propose that the concepts of length, width, height AND TIME would have no meaning within a universe devoid of any material objects. Some will imply that the expansion or life time of the universe itself may be "timed" but I believe time is a measurement of objects that either rest or move through space. (Can we really use time to measure the property of space/time? Time is a property of space and can not be "perceived" independantly of it)
Furthermore, if time ceases to exist in an empty universe (and time is a property of space/time) what does this say about the very nature of space itself? I have been kicking this around awhile and would like to hear some opinions

D

dryson

Asking about space being devoid of everything is a intense head throbbing ordeal to undertake. Give me a few days and I will metaphysically meditate on it and give you a response. You are correct though that time is based on the interactions between energetic bodies creating a energetic reaction between the two bodies where an equal and opposite reaction will occur with the velocity being dependant upon the atoms involved in the reaction and the medium that the particles travel through before during and after their interaction. Who knows maybe there is even stuff more elusive than dark matter like anti-dark matter.

R

ramparts

If a tree falls in the forest but no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Of freakin' course it does!

A universe with no matter doesn't behave all that much differently than a universe with a tiny amount of matter scattered in a couple of places, or with one little object somewhere and the rest empty. And what about the (very many) places in the universe which already are devoid of matter? Does time not exist there?

Oh, and don't hold your breath waiting for dryson's response. He doesn't believe in physics :)

C

captdude

I dont believe you are grasping the framework of my statement so I shall clarify. Give me your definition of time in a universe that is empty of all matter. Define the concept of time without the movement of objects through space being used as a reference.

T

theridane

What you're referring to is called Leibniz Time - the notion that time itself is a metric created by man to measure events and not an actual physical component (e.g. a dimension) of the spacetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.