Stargazing The moon disappeared tonight

FYI, I do not know. Where I am at, skies are overcast so I cannot see anything above :) The Full Moon is 0645 EDT or 1045 UT tomorrow. However, the Moon sets at my location near 0620 EDT. The Moon is currently in Libra right now and transit near 0050 EDT my location. Virtual Moon Atlas, Starry Night, and Stellarium 0.20.1 show this.

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Can't speak to where you're viewing from, but it's been up there all night for me, here in MN. Been out multiple times since it rose and it's always been there.

-Wolf sends
Perhaps this report is a case of the missing Moon :)

I just wanted to report this just incase some other people may've noticed it? The story is that my daughter took a picture of the beautiful full-moon and when she showed it to me and to support her interested, I said let me see it! we went out and we could not find it? The location is west Manitoba Canada and it is around the sunset time. That's all. Thank you for the replies.

Reactions: rod
FYI shapm. I was out early this morning in Maryland looking at Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, and the Full Milk Moon low in WSW sky. Clear skies here this morning but last night, overcast. I checked Manitoba Canada using Stellarium 0.20.1 and Starry Night Pro Plus 8. I set the location to Brandon Manitoba Canada. The sunset near 9:06 PM local time and Moon rise near 8:20 PM local time on 06-May. The rising Moon in Libra and at 9:02 PM local time, < 6 degrees altitude and near 117 degrees azimuth direction. At 9:30 local time, the Moon in Libra near 9 degrees altitude and 122 degrees azimuth. To see that Moon at 9:07 PM local time, you likely need a very good, flat view to the E-SE sky, otherwise it was hidden below some obstructing object perhaps. Later near 9:35 PM local time, the Moon rose higher in the sky and would become visible. This happens to me regularly when I am out stargazing in my east horse pasture when the Moon is rising up.

May 6, 2020
Visit site
FYI shapm. I was out early this morning in Maryland looking at Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, and the Full Milk Moon low in WSW sky. Clear skies here this morning but last night, overcast. I checked Manitoba Canada using Stellarium 0.20.1 and Starry Night Pro Plus 8. I set the location to Brandon Manitoba Canada. The sunset near 9:06 PM local time and Moon rise near 8:20 PM local time on 06-May. The rising Moon in Libra and at 9:02 PM local time, < 6 degrees altitude and near 117 degrees azimuth direction. At 9:30 local time, the Moon in Libra near 9 degrees altitude and 122 degrees azimuth. To see that Moon at 9:07 PM local time, you likely need a very good, flat view to the E-SE sky, otherwise it was hidden below some obstructing object perhaps. Later near 9:35 PM local time, the Moon rose higher in the sky and would become visible. This happens to me regularly when I am out stargazing in my east horse pasture when the Moon is rising up.
Thank you for taking the time and study this. Although Brandon, MB (as you noted) is in the prairies, I agree with your explanation, which is my best explanation too. Just seemed a little strange not to see it. We were shocked when we saw it together as it was like the sun no body can miss!
Thank you again.

Latest posts