The Next Step to Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SpaceForAReason

With Scaled Composites in the final stages of completing the White Knight II and Spaceship II and with Beigelow Aerospace nearing the realization of an in orbit station it may be a good time to think of the next steps needed.

LEO, but better
The next big thing should be the development of a fleet of affordable LEO launch vehicles. The price per pound is still quite high and I see that as the single biggest deterrent to what everyone in this forum has been talking about. We are all dreamers with alot of ideas. None of these ideas will ever become a reality at the current prices.

We need the equivalent of a 40mpg car to LEO.

I thought I remembered Burt Rutan saying that after the whole sub-orbital thing that Scaled Composites was setting thier sights even higher. Here it is: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/255/2 I sincerely hope that is the case as they seem to me to be the kind of team to actually pull it off. Even better, I would like to see the next space race be about commercial firsts instead of government firsts.

The next gold rush
The market is already there for business: Satellite Repair (There is an never-ending business for this), Space Junk Recycling and Removal (something that should be figured in as a bonded amount on the launch of any satellite in a general fund and contracted out for operations), Space Hotels (This is a very real business that could make alot of money, and alot of us very happy), NASA Contracted Stations to support missions (Fuel Depot ops, Resupply Stations), Semi-Orbital Transporation (New York to Sydney in 2 hours), etc.

Making it count
Really this is about taking a solid step and not taking it back. It is about making space travel to LEO no stranger than taking a business trip or honey moon trip via airplane. It is about going to space anytime we darn well please without having to wait months or years.

It is about taking the next step, making it stick, and preparing for the next one. (Thanks Burt!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts