The Six Million Dollar Man (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

To follow more closely Martin Caidin's 1972 novel Cyborg, which was much darker in tone than the TV series.

No production data yet it was just announced, but presumably if it does well the other 3 Cyborg novels could be sequels; Operation Nuke (1973), High Crystal (1974) and Cyborg IV (1975)

B

bdewoody

For six million today he won't have many add ons. The telescopic eye alone would probably cost billions.

N

nimbus

That's right.. Maybe six million is the declared worth on the "official" govt tally.

D

docm

bdewoody":11fhvfzc said:
For six million today he won't have many add ons. The telescopic eye alone would probably cost billions.
Already being worked on as part of an "augmented reality" light-powered digital contact lens at MIT and at some university in Washington state. Made possible by the development of transparent organic LED displays and circuits. No problem in principle to transfer that capability to focusing ocular implants like the ones I had implanted this fall, or to an ocular overlay optic that goes in front of a natural lens. Overlay optics already exist and are in general use.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Why didn't they simply retitle it "The Six BILLION Dollar Man"?

And it's really not all that far-fetched, even on the scale of $millions. (In the next decade or two, that is.)

B

bdewoody

And that's probably only if you leave off the hospital charges. I had a hip replaced 2 years ago and I think my insurance paid almost $100K. I was in the hospital only 3 days then a rehab facility for 3 weeks.

D

drwayne

It is actually interesting - if you go back and look at the pilot, and some of the early episodes in the
series - the tone of the episodes is very much different than it would become for the bulk of the series.

With regards to the title, using something more like "Cyborg" gets one around the 6,000,000 dollar
figure.

I do wonder about the following though - when the original series came out, the idea of a Cyborg
was still somewhat "new" in the popular imagination. Now cyborgs and androids of various stripes
have been heavily explored in TV and Movies

J

jim48

For those of us who remember the show when it was brand new on ABC in 1974, even then we thought that was a lowball price tag. At least to us military buffs who knew a thing or two about How Much Stuff Costs!!! Of course I was just a sophmore in high school. The novel was terrific, and the original TV movie was dark. I don't recall if they were planning a series at that point or not. Certainly ABC wasn't when they did The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler at the same time. Kung Fu was ABC's hot new show at that time, with slow-motion photography for the fight scenes. Six Million Dollar Man and Later The Bionic Woman did the same thing, which I thought SUCKED!!! BIG MISTAKE!!! It just drained the action sequences. Fancy sound effects but super-people in slow-motion?!!! I was so used to Captain Kirk and James West kicking butt that I was really taken aback by slow-motion fight scenes!!! All these decades later I still say it was a huge mistake.

D

drwayne

"and the original TV movie was dark"

Particularly Oscar, compared to where he moved in the series.

Wayne

B

bdewoody

I thought MANTIS was a better idea for giving a human more or less super powers and more relevant to me, being physically challenged. It would be so cool to put on a spider web body suit and be able to get around better than the average guy.

D

docm

And there are several others....

IEEE Spectrum article....

17 August 2009—An army of exoskeletons is coming. And according to their inventor, Professor Yoshiyuki Sankai of the University of Tsukuba, in Japan, they’re making a difference in the lives of disabled people.

Speaking at the International Conference on Intelligent Robotic Technology and Business, held earlier this month in Taipei, Taiwan, Sankai proudly described how the robotic exoskeleton suit HAL (short for Hybrid Assistive Limb), helped a 46-year-old man whose left leg was withered by polio when he was 11 months old.

HAL reads electric signals at the surface of the skin that are generated by the muscle beneath and then uses them to guide the movement of robotic limbs strapped to a person’s real limbs, thereby multiplying their strength.

The polio patient’s withered left leg generated extremely weak bioelectric signals at first, and the robotic limb remained unmoved. Ten days later, with HAL’s assistance, the patient moved his left leg based on his own intention. “He cried,” says Sankai.
>
Sankai, who is Cyberdyne’s CEO, expects to supply 80 to 90 suits in Japan in October. At the end of September, 10 sets of HAL suits will be delivered to Denmark to be used by nurses who care for elderly people. The suits should enhance the nurses’ strength, helping them to move patients.

More versions of HAL are in the works, says Sankai. Following HAL’s use by a man injured in a car wreck to climb the 4164-meter Breithorn Mountain, in Switzerland, the company decided to develop a weather-resistant outdoor exoskeleton. Sankai says the company will also be introducing a HAL with significantly smaller and lighter batteries this fall at an event in Kyoto.

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/English/robotsuithal/index.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSP46lWvxJ4[/youtube]

C

cookie_thief

ZenGalacticore":291jghm3 said:
Why didn't they simply retitle it "The Six BILLION Dollar Man"?

And it's really not all that far-fetched, even on the scale of $millions. (In the next decade or two, that is.)

I agree. It would also make him far more beholden to the government and very, very precious to boot, as there is only one of him. It would take only one well placed bullet to make that pile of taxpayer money a waste.

D

docm

They're called shear-thickening fluids and this armor is already being tested.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlEo5MbcaX0[/youtube]

and Dragon Skin can stop a rifle shooting armor piercing rounds....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYaSRIbPWkM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HRQNd84ZA[/youtube]

J

jim48

Isaac Asimov was quick to point out how illogical was the concept of bionic people as "super-people", by virtue of the fact that yes, you can meld steel parts with flesh and bone, but try to lift a car after that! Flesh and bone would be torn to shreds!!! We really, really, really, really had to suspend our disbelief to enjoy those shows.

A

andrew_t1000

Everytime Steve ripped a post out of the ground or jumped off a 8 story building I thought "that would be the end of this guy!", that or the OC-Health inspector would be there writing him a ticket!
I loved the way back in the bad old sexist seventies the bionic woman's price tag was never disclosed!
And the dog was "Maxamillion"!

I know you should suspend your disbelief, but the bionic man/woman really pushed the envelope!
I think the most believable cyborg's so far are in "Ghost in the shell", the Major and Butto pretty much have total body prosthetics, even large portions of their brains have been replaced.
The discussion The Major and Butto have on the boat in Tokyo bay, where they discuss having to give up all their enhancements, The Major says straight up they would just be "a kilogram or so of tissue in a bucket".

I can't wait for the live action "Ghost in the shell", I just hope they don't stuff it up!

D

drwayne

bdewoody":1fs5h85o said:
I thought MANTIS was a better idea for giving a human more or less super powers and more relevant to me, being physically challenged. It would be so cool to put on a spider web body suit and be able to get around better than the average guy.

Thank you very much for that reminder!!!!!

D

drwayne

"We really, really, really, really had to suspend our disbelief to enjoy those shows."

Absolutely true. In that vein, I found that the "slow motion" effects, and the sound effects were in
some strange (and perhaps stupid) way an aid in doing just that. I found (and probably still find)
that someone moving their legs and body at very high speed ends up looking even more - well,
almost comic.

Wayne

A

andrew_t1000

I loved the new Bionic Woman, I mean if they were going to augment Lindsay Wagner. well you know what I'm thinking here! (.Y.)
But in the remake when they had Michele Ryan running through the forest in the first episode, doing it really fast and adding motion blur was a much better way of implying great speed.

N

nimbus

drwayne":27uawl0x said:
"We really, really, really, really had to suspend our disbelief to enjoy those shows."

Absolutely true. In that vein, I found that the "slow motion" effects, and the sound effects were in
some strange (and perhaps stupid) way an aid in doing just that. I found (and probably still find)
that someone moving their legs and body at very high speed ends up looking even more - well,
almost comic.

Wayne
I think that's what you get from just accelerating video of someone doing something at normal speed. Body motion doesn't look the same when the person's actually moving at high speed.

D

drwayne

One has to keep in mind we are talking about the early - mid 1970's in terms of special effects
capability to be sure...

N

nimbus

Yep, the same kind of exaggerated oscillations happen when cars are sped up.. E.G. in the old Knight Rider.

B

bdewoody

What always got me about the $6million man was OK he's got bionic arms and legs but what about his non bionic spine when he holds that building up. He should have ended up about 6" tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts