The space.com website looks terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alx09

How old is this website? Typography, content structure, code, design and color combinations are all just horrible. It looks like a website from ~1999, which is not good. (not talking about the forum, it is "ok")

The alexa page rank is currently #5,908. I belive that space.com could gain a lot of more visitors and popularity with an improved website.

F

FlatEarth

I don't have a strong feeling about the overall appearance of the home page, but I think it would be possible to encourage more folks to participate in the forums by featuring it more prominently. Just a thought.

A

a_lost_packet_

Alx09":2xp4yc12 said:
How old is this website? Typography, content structure, code, design and color combinations are all just horrible. It looks like a website from ~1999, which is not good. (not talking about the forum, it is "ok")

The alexa page rank is currently #5,908. I belive that space.com could gain a lot of more visitors and popularity with an improved website.

I agree.

I don't think it is "terrible" but, it could definitely use an overhaul. There's a sort of unfocused type of feel to it that just doesn't present itself well. I'd like to see something a bit more "today" with good formatting to boot. There's no proper "focus" point and navigation is antiquated. But, for that, either a webdesign/management company or an on-site webby is needed and ours is KIA atm, IIRC. So, I can't complain too much.. it works reasonably well, isn't a resource hog, doesn't swamp you with unavoidable, annoying popups and is stable which is MUCH better than some.

I have a feeling that they'll update the style... eventually. They just need to be able to dedicate someone to plug away at it for a month or three.

A

Alx09

a_lost_packet_":38ohi6q7 said:
Alx09":38ohi6q7 said:

I agree.

I don't think it is "terrible" but, it could definitely use an overhaul. There's a sort of unfocused type of feel to it that just doesn't present itself well. I'd like to see something a bit more "today" with good formatting to boot. There's no proper "focus" point and navigation is antiquated. But, for that, either a webdesign/management company or an on-site webby is needed and ours is KIA atm, IIRC. So, I can't complain too much.. it works reasonably well, isn't a resource hog, doesn't swamp you with unavoidable, annoying popups and is stable which is MUCH better than some.

I have a feeling that they'll update the style... eventually. They just need to be able to dedicate someone to plug away at it for a month or three.

They should switch to either Wordpress or ExpressionEngine in my opinion and have someone like http://www.45royale.com/ to design it for them, so it's properly made - typography, structure etc.

D

doublehelix

a_lost_packet_":1y4y7xw3 said:

It's definitely on the list! We would like to overhaul the site's look and make it look more modern, definitely. They've had conversations about it, that I know. I don't know many details, unfortunately.

-dh

Status
Not open for further replies.