The sun has it's groove back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

From the SOHO and STEREO images, it looks like the sun experienced a pretty nice uptick in overall activity around the 11th-12th of this month, and it has definitely gotten more active over the last week, including some pretty serious activity today. There are two really active areas, one in the norther hemisphere that just turned away from us, and another highly active region in the southern hemisphere that should also produce sunspots this week. I'd say the sun has definitely gotten it's groove back.....

M

michaelmozina

http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/brows ... 95_512.mpg

I love having both SOHO and STEREO images to work with. It looks like the vast majority of the sunspot action for the next week will be taking place in the lower hemisphere. STEREO-B shows a pretty nice uptick in the activity around the active region in the southern hemisphere today. SOHO can already see the higher atmospheric activity from that active region, but STEREO has a better view of the action. That region looks to very active and hot, and I'd be surprised if it's not already generating sunspots on STEREO-B's side of the sun.

C

CalliArcale

It's very cool to watch the Sun getting active again, and I have to second what michaelmozina said about how awesome it is to have both SOHO and STEREO images to work with. It's not new tech, but the vantage point means it's a whole new way of looking at the sun. Literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.