The Walking Dead - new series AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene

I thought it was good - well paced , interesting characters, realistic settings. The final scene in downtown Atlanta was particularly well done. I loved the 'Oh sh!t' moment when he rode around the corner into the crowd (I will not say more as it would spoil the show). If you missed it, it will be replaying a few times during the week. Record and watch~!

10-11:30 Sunday nights, AMC, new series

Oh yes, the subject of the new TV series: the story of the survivors tyring to live and rebuild after the zombie - 'pocalypse !

M

Mee_n_Mac

I thought it was a good start as well. A bit too "easy" to have the main character tuned into the whole situation by a stranger but it serves to get the audience up to speed as well. I'll definitely be watching the series and hoping it keeps a "believable" zombie storyline.

D

docm

Have the DVR set to record the whole miniseries in HD, after which it goes on the media server.

J

JasonChapman

just got round to watching it. Not bad, but with all pilots you have to give a few episodes a chance before you really say whether you'll go on watching. Nice to see a British actor taking the lead role.

N

neuvik

I just now watched it, its alright.

For a LEO he has horrible situational awareness (opening pretty much proves, he doesn’t even have his weapon drawn on the zombie kid…hur-derp); bullheadidly walks around the hospital even though clearly something has gone awry. Gets close to hall with the chained door spray painted with the warning, even though there is debris all on the ground and weakened walls. Travels down a unlit staircase with no improvised weapons or sufficient lighting. Should have also attempted to use stuff in his room to make improvised shoes.

He then skips the military outpost where he could have scavenged more gear, at least some canvas for shoes, maybe a gun, medkit (helicopters should have one).

Doesn’t take the hint from the delimbed zombie that things just aint right. Throws the bike to the ground loudly, shouts around in the house. Should have just ended the movie their and had him get eaten to dash our hopes and teach us a lesson about our undead foes. But no…shear dumb luck saves him…just as with every other protagonist for zombies. Us poor rednecks who dream about such situations and have devoted unhealthy amounts of funding in prep (well for other more likely situations) mysteriously never make it…but the village ****** magically does.

Then when he finds people…or rather gets bested by a kid, he almost opens the drapes potentially killing them all, doesn’t draw his firearm the moment the zombie cop shows up. Then like a freaking ****** walks up to the zombie and point black put the firearm muzzle to his head…rage! Hollywood liberals need to get out and shoot some more, or better yet hang out with us evil survivalist neocons. Nobody would do that, engage at a safe distance, at closest 5 feet away. But he could have potentially risked the zombie putting his hands through the fence and grabbing him, or the gun, or getting blood on his face etc. bad form.

Then to really show he precinct values teamwork and squad maneuvers, he ups and leaves the only two people alive to the best of his knowledge to go chase down the torso zombie….wtf? And he doesn’t even have his weapon drawn….Yarg!? Instead he should have instructed the two people how to operate the firearms in lecture, broken down the weapons, and prepared a plan to move out. Not let them figure out how to use firearms on their own.

K that was a good rage. I was going to buy a .50 beowulf AR, but I got a deal to get 1919A2 receiver flats and kit, and I didn’t think I needed to engage hogs at all. Now I realize why I need a .50 beowulf. Freaking Zombies.

zombies.jpg

Z

ZenGalacticore

I caught the second episode (or is it the third?) last night. I'd give it a C. Not bad for cable-tv fare.

(Of course, because it's set in Atlanta, Hollywood feels the need to put the mean, mythological fire spittin' racist redneck into the story.) You wouldn't get very far in Atlanta with that kind of an attitude. Maybe in 1920, but not in 2010. It's a cosmopolitan city. A rainbow of colors and ethnic groups.

S

Sonjiin

Zen - It was the second ep last night. The pilot started on Halloween.

Iv since seen both eps and i would give it a solid B. The props and the zombies are well done but the plot does have some holes to fill.

My biggest gripe would be that the survivors that are living in a tent camp out side of the city are doing just that. How come no one is hunkered down in the police station? Its a secure location that isnt penetrated easily. It had water, a separate fuel source as well as guns and ammo. They may need to venture out for food occasionally, but that could be accomplished easier in a small town then the big city as we saw in ep 2.

2.) How in the heck did so many people (Especially the military) get infected. For instance, the guy in the tank. He is in a F' ing Tank, Who bit him and how? The main character ran past that military outpost early in the pilot ep, and there a helicopter and weapons caches are laying around. How come the survivors didnt take that?

3.) The opening scene we see the "hero" if you will, walking around with a gas tank going towards the gas station. Clearly there isnt any power, so how would it have pumped? To go with this, there are tons of cars just parked. Why not take a knife, puncture the tank of a car and use a funnel to get the gas you need?

I will agree with the poster that mentioned the bigot in last nights ep was a bit much and wasnt needed. They could have used the drug addict part and was unstable in the head, but not used that language and racism.

I wont agree with the comment about his situational awareness of the cop. The guy was basically in a comma for who knows how long. Was clearly dehydrated and probably hungry. If that happened to you, do you think youd be ready to make weapons or would be able to put 2 and 2 together?

Per the argument of the noise he was causing, He didnt know that the zombies were attracted to it, so when he took the bike and went to his house to look for his wife he threw it down. Once again, i ask you, would you waste the time to put it on a kick stand, walk around and be cautious? I know i wouldn't. I would do exactly as he did. From there he then sat down trying to comprehend what was going on. And then was attacked from behind with a shovel.

You gotta remember that "we" know what zombies are. But in the reality of the show they do not. He has no idea what was going on other then it wasnt right.

C

Couerl

neuvik":1i52iaip said:
Hollywood liberals need to get out and shoot some more, or better yet hang out with us evil survivalist neocons.

Great analysis and funny commentary.. The suspension of disbelief is key to all fiction so that it may succeed and this ranks right up there with the last King Kong, who was playing juggle the blond chick with 3 insatiably hungry T-Rex's on the flying trapeze over a cliff. Complete and utter bomb and jumped the shark on so many levels like everything else from Hollywood these days. I was bothered by the same things all of you were, but that damned tank took the cake.. Okay, we have Atlanta infested with zombies and cars piled up on the way out of town but, the city streets are virtually empty and a tank is stuck in one? Who came by after the zombie meltdown and removed all of the cars in the city streets? How did civilization not know not to get bitten? Duh... Last but not least, there's a lot more bullets than there are people in this world and one or two of those tanks (uninfected ones) would take care of your zombie issue in a couple days tops. Yup, the tanks have had it and the choppers are hiding but, some trailer trash retards with interpersonal conflicts and divorce issues are merrily washing their clothes, eating cans of beans and living in tents beside the old 70's travel trailer on the outskirts of town. NOT!!!!

oh, I forgot to add that, I'm a sucker for zombie apocalypse movies and much to my own dismay I actually liked it too or at least wanted it to succeed.. Maybe one of these days some guy with a clue will do a good zombie flick.

C

Couerl

Oh I have one question.. When blondie was saying "it's all your fault" to the cop, what the hell was she talking about? Is that a plot lead for the next show(s)? The cops started it? allowed it to happen? Told people to stay in their houses or "wait" for help to come with eerie 9/11 connotations? Stay where you are and croak? :lol:

I'll watch it again and then probably shut my couch/tv off for the winter and go back to my mad scientist routine...

N

neuvik

Sonjiin":3s4adtpq said:
I wont agree with the comment about his situational awareness of the cop. The guy was basically in a comma for who knows how long. Was clearly dehydrated and probably hungry. If that happened to you, do you think youd be ready to make weapons or would be able to put 2 and 2 together?

Per the argument of the noise he was causing, He didnt know that the zombies were attracted to it, so when he took the bike and went to his house to look for his wife he threw it down. Once again, i ask you, would you waste the time to put it on a kick stand, walk around and be cautious? I know i wouldn't. I would do exactly as he did. From there he then sat down trying to comprehend what was going on. And then was attacked from behind with a shovel.
I’ve woken up from concussions before, ya just sit where you are till you regain your senses. Comes naturally. He got water in his room, and then went outside, should have stopped there when he saw all the debris; at least to improvise some clothing and importantly shoes. But he couldn’t put two and two together at the door spray painted with the warning…and blood and gun shots on the walls….please. He would have to be the most ******** LEO on the planet to not put that together.

Even if he didn’t know what attracted the zombies (c’on logically he has to revert to possible senses they would use: smell, sight, sound, and touch) A stealthy approach is necessary. Outside the loading dock is piles of dead…massive battle damage on surrounding buildings…and a freaking deserted military outpost!? Again, even if there was not the painted door with the moaning zombies sticking their fingers through the door…he would have to guess something completely awry went on, maybe war, maybe aliens…etc. That wouldn’t warrant a stealthy approach, and such things as not throwing a bike to the ground and shouting? Again he would have to be the most ******** person on the planet, and while Hollywood may love him, nature (well movie nature) wont…and he would get eaten. But again, at the bike he saw the zombie, and doesnt take further precautions. Shock doesn’t last that long, and can be foughten through…

If it were me in that situation I can with certainty say I would have woken up, fallen out of bed, cried for help; and when none came my inner dialog would probably mumbled something about how crappy obamas health control is. Would have gotten a drink, then opened the door…when I saw the debris and clutter that’s where I would stop. Is it normal for a hospital to be completely vacant, and cluttered with debris? No…okay, something went wrong, I’d best get some more water, and secure some supplies, something is messed up.

Yes I would make improvised weapons, improvised clothing on the spot, make a back pack out of that plastic the bed is made from, carried some water, etc, maybe I wouldn’t have used the kick stand on the bike…but I would have set it down gently and proceeded in the house with caution. I’m not talking about knowing there is a killer in the house because the music changes, I’m talking about the knowing the situation due to the surroundings. I hope I’m not the exception because I arm myself walking out of the house, and attempt to gauge my surroundings. I know to put cloths on, shoes etc to protect my body. I walk out of the house I make sure I’m armed even though its pretty much illegal in my state.

Sonjiin":3s4adtpq said:
You gotta remember that "we" know what zombies are. But in the reality of the show they do not. He has no idea what was going on other then it wasnt right.

There’s nothing that states they didn’t have zombie stories. He should know the fiction about it. And even if he didn’t its not following any sense of logic, or taking in to account his surroundings. He can’t figure out things are awry…hes a ******, and sheer dumb luck (or poor literary skills) is getting him through the day, its boring. I’m cool with fatal flaws…if he has a drug addiction, or gets angry and rages in to unsafe situations sure…thats believable (yes I know I’m watching a zombie movie heh). But a cop who doesn’t judge his situation; well really and person who doesn’t judge their situation, just deserves to be eaten.

Love zombies movies...shows pretty much everything not to do heh.

S

Sonjiin

Couerl":2j4w97by said:
Oh I have one question.. When blondie was saying "it's all your fault" to the cop, what the hell was she talking about? Is that a plot lead for the next show(s)? The cops started it? allowed it to happen? Told people to stay in their houses or "wait" for help to come with eerie 9/11 connotations? Stay where you are and croak? :lol:

I'll watch it again and then probably shut my couch/tv off for the winter and go back to my mad scientist routine...

I think she meant that it was the cops fault that the zombies knew they where in the store. That because of him and Glenn running around the street and firing the gun that it drew more zombies to which eventually lead to them breaching the store front and having to think quickly on how to escape.

S

Sonjiin

neuvik":1bslpyak said:
Sonjiin":1bslpyak said:

There’s nothing that states they didn’t have zombie stories. He should know the fiction about it. And even if he didn’t its not following any sense of logic, or taking in to account his surroundings. He can’t figure out things are awry…hes a ******, and sheer dumb luck (or poor literary skills) is getting him through the day, its boring. I’m cool with fatal flaws…if he has a drug addiction, or gets angry and rages in to unsafe situations sure…thats believable (yes I know I’m watching a zombie movie heh). But a cop who doesn’t judge his situation; well really and person who doesn’t judge their situation, just deserves to be eaten.

Love zombies movies...shows pretty much everything not to do heh.

I see your point, however with consideration to other zombie films and literature they typically do not know what zombies are. The ones that do, at least in my experience are C class movies.

C

Couerl

Sonjiin":3m7k2udf said:
Couerl":3m7k2udf said:
Oh I have one question.. When blondie was saying "it's all your fault" to the cop, what the hell was she talking about?...

I think she meant that it was the cops fault that the zombies knew they where in the store. That because of him and Glenn running around the street and firing the gun that it drew more zombies to which eventually lead to them breaching the store front and having to think quickly on how to escape.

Ahh okay, I gotcha.. I was thinking there was more to it since she was ready to blow his head off and that seemed a bit over the top.. I'm also not looking forward to next weeks retribution from the obligatory white, drug-addicted, racist, redneck, tea partying, McCain voting, NRA supporting, Nascar watching, trailer trash, guy who will have to chew through his own wrist or something to escape and exact some form of poetic justice ironically cut short by him getting croaked in the end by zombies afterall.

With any luck they'll draw all of the zombies to the city outskirts and they'll eat every last one of those dummies so they can then switch over to firebase "Couerl-San" (here in my town) where we know how to deal with those walking dead types. I'd pull out all the stops in my zombie flick. "We got zombies in the wire sarge"! (poof!). etc, etc,.. You'd see every conceivable way in which lib-zombies could be easily dispatched and with great enthusiasm and fervor! Puff the magic lib zombie killing dragon,... Moab Zombie-blowout. Towering inferno zombies. Monster truck zombie squashing. "Nukular combat" fried Zombie Monte-Cristo's ala major kong (slim pickens)...

There's just so much great ground to cover but nope, they'll blame it on gay marriage not being passed soon enough or global warming and all they'll want to talk about is "compassion" and the human "spirit". :roll:

B

brandbll

neuvik":1j6367tq said:
I just now watched it, its alright.

"It's alright" just about sums it up. I really like the whole Zombie/walking dead thing. Problem is, I find most zombie movies just flat out suck. I was really excited about this show and so far it's been sort of a downer. I don't get why it seems like they're setting him up to rejoin his family so quickly. Personally, i wish he would have had to go cross country or at least further than a half day's drive, you know, the hero's journey.

And like you said, all the illogical stuff that happens in this movie. That's always the biggest killed of Zombie and horror movies. It's just really unbearable. Then you have the corny moments like the white supremcist part and the lady looking at the necklace talking about how she wants it but she's standing there with a police office. Good lord, cut that crap out. Let's face it, the necklace scene should have been left out and the cop should have killed the crazy racist instead of handcuffing him to the pipe. Then you have the fact that they know the zombies use sight but they just deced to all stand in front of the big glass doors like it's no big deal. Is this amateur hour or what?

Last but not least, the most important part of any zombie film, Zombies gotta run! The walking dead would be just that in any situation like this, dead. The army is defeated? From what? The slow walking masses of harmless zombies? Just run their asses over, you don't even need guns. I still have no idea how those zomibes managed to take out a tank? Anyone, any ideas? You can not have a doomsday situation if the creatures that cause it can only walk at a 3-5 mph clip at most.

So far, i'm fairly disappointed with the series. The goody two shoes sheriff, the seemingly poor screenwriting and storyline. Meh, i just hope they turn it around soon otherwise i might not take the time to bother watching.

D

docm

AMC RESURRECTS “THE WALKING DEAD” FOR A SECOND SEASON

Biggest Series in Cable History Among Adults 18-49

Network Greenlights 13-Episode Season of Original Hit Series

Biggest Global Original Series Debut on Fox International Channels

( New York , NY – November 8, 2010) AMC announced today the renewal of “The Walking Dead” for a 13-episode second season. Since debuting Sunday, October 31, “The Walking Dead” has broken ratings records, with the series reaching more Adults 18-49 than any other show in the history of cable television.

Today’s announcement also includes Fox International Channels’ (FIC) global renewal for a second season, following record-breaking premiere ratings in 120 countries in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East . “The Walking Dead” was the highest-rated original series premiere ever to air on FIC simultaneously worldwide.

“The ‘Dead’ has spread!” said Charlie Collier, President, AMC. “No other cable series has ever attracted as many Adults 18-49 as ‘The Walking Dead.’ This reaffirms viewers’ hunger for premium television on basic cable. We are so proud to be bringing back ‘The Dead’ again, across the globe.”
>

A

andrew_t1000

One thing nobody here seems to have mentioned,
The first time I have ever seen anyone appropriately "stunned", in pain, suffering from "sonic induced shock" from firing a weapon in an enclosed space like a tank!
When the sheriff pops the undead soldier in the tank was about how I remember the level of pain, I wont EVER do that again! lol

The scene in the second "Terminator" move, where Jon and Sarah Connor, along with Arnie are unloading mag after mag of 9mm, along with 12 gauge, in an elevator!?
I mean WTF?
I asked a Doctor about it and she agreed with me about not just hearing loss, but sinus damage.

The "Walking Dead" graphic novels are great, I love black and white comics, when Mirage Studios originally published "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" in the black and white format, industry "pundits" thought they were crazy.
A few gazillion (hmm, my spell checker thinks that's a legit word!) issues later, plus live action movies, animated series later, how wrong they were!

AMC seem to be going places with the production values the have adopted, anyone else besides me getting into "Rubicon"?

I hope AMC stay true to "The Walking Dead" graphic novels, if they do we are in for a rough, nasty ride!

S

silylene

After Ep. 3, I had have lost hope that there is anything worth saving within the surviving gene pool.

J

JasonChapman

silylene":3vdm9ahg said:
After Ep. 3, I had have lost hope that there is anything worth saving within the surviving gene pool.

That bad was it?
I just watched episode 2. I thought it was quite good especially when they disguised themselves as zombies, rather gory chopping up that body. However it didn't really leave on a cliff hanger like the first one. I'll watch the next episode, but I have a feeling this could run out of steam, anyone remember that TV show Jericho, started off watchable then just died off.

S

silylene

JasonChapman":12qgv5ms said:
silylene":12qgv5ms said:

That bad was it?
I just watched episode 2. I thought it was quite good especially when they disguised themselves as zombies, rather gory chopping up that body. However it didn't really leave on a cliff hanger like the first one. I'll watch the next episode, but I have a feeling this could run out of steam, anyone remember that TV show Jericho, started off watchable then just died off.

Episode 3 was very good! It is just the collection of survivors has so many inbred rednecks among them, one wonders how humanity will ever survive this genepool constriction.

C

Couerl

Well. this is how liberal Hollywood views the fine citizens of Atlanta. In fact this is how Californians and New Yorkers view the fine citizens of everywhere else in general. A bunch of hapless wife-beating retards in 70's Winnebago's.. I'm literally shocked that the sheriff's little kid didn't have a banjo in his hands and corncob pipe in his mouth. And no wonder the divorce rate is 50%.. Two whole weeks of apocalypse and the slut wife is already pokin the protagonist's best friend..

S

silylene

Couerl":1vcrrdor said:
Well. this is how liberal Hollywood views the fine citizens of Atlanta. In fact this is how Californians and New Yorkers view the fine citizens of everywhere else in general. A bunch of hapless wife-beating retards in 70's Winnebago's.. I'm literally shocked that the sheriff's little kid didn't have a banjo in his hands and corncob pipe in his mouth. And no wonder the divorce rate is 50%.. Two whole weeks of apocalypse and the slut wife is already pokin the protagonist's best friend..

Any good southern kid knows how to catch a bullfrog (which apparently has become a forgotten skill among these hapless hics - even the professed expert at it knows nothing).

Why are there so few guns available? And why is there apparently a huge ammunition shortage?

C

Couerl

silylene":j85frhfq said:
Why are there so few guns available? And why is there apparently a huge ammunition shortage?

And why did the sheriff jump out of a perfectly good M1-Abrams, tucked in all safe and sound like a bug in a rug instead of just clearing the whole area with one or two anti-personnel grenades? Even if you didn't understand all of the intricacies of how to operate a modern tank, you don't think a multi-million dollar piece of equipment like that doesn't have an operator's manual in the glove compartment? :lol:

let's see here... Ah yes,.. In case of zombies, load tubes 1, 2 and 3 with anti-personnel grenades and press these buttons.. Wait 2 seconds until loud noise subsides and viola, crowd control and zombie eradication within 200 meters of the tank is now complete. :geek:

I admit I've never done this myself, but I'd spend the extra few minutes reading the manual before I opened the hatch.
Like I said, I love zombie stuff and I want to like this show but, they are sure making it hard to like! The sad fact of the matter is (as doc already posted) that this show will get another season and not because it's all that great but, rather because television is in such bad shape these days that there's basically nothing else left to watch!! A tard with a camcorder and some cardboard boxes for props can out do Hollywood these days...

A

andrew_t1000

WTH are you guys sniffing, dropping, smoking?

How can you be such bigots about folk from your own country?
I've been watching and see something totally different!
Ok, the accents are funky, but except the 2 rednecks and that fat wife beating freak, the rest of the characters are quite eloquent.

Try watching the episode again, without your blinkers on!

The show is fairly faithful to the graphic novels.

In a survival situation, you would not be able to pick and choose who you ended up with.

M

Mee_n_Mac

JasonChapman":3hv4z27g said:
... anyone remember that TV show Jericho, started off watchable then just died off.

Great idea but bad execution. Not to go too far OT but Jericho could have been so much better. Alas the writers settled into basic TV mode where every show brought up some situation that the good guys were able to resolve before the end of the episode. All neat and tidy and no need to watch the whole series to be able to understand the show. And lamentably boring as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts