The way forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starfhury

I decided to create a new thread since I don't want this to get buried 50 comments deep.

I'll say right off that I was against Constellation from the very beginning, I believe there are posts on this board attesting to the fact. The biggest problem I've had with Constellation from the outset was it's stated goal of getting to the Moon and Mars by re-inventing Apollo. Let me just state right now that the Orion capsule will take no one to Mars. At most it will be just a life boat to return astronauts to earth after returning from Mars. Another vehicle would be required to do that. Frankly it'd be a waste to tug it all the way to Mars and back just to land people in the ocean some where. If we follow the Constellations Programs other stated goal of getting to the Moon, and we examine the history of the Apollo Program learning the same lessons, we'll likely do a few missions, conclude we've beaten everyone to the Moon again and sit back and wait to see what Russia, China or anyone else does to compare. Effectively, they would be the ones setting our goals for us and we we just race ahead to get it done before them. I don't think that qualifies as showing real leadership or vision.

Another angst I had against Constellation is that it canceled a lot of other worthwhile technologies that are necessary for doing things in outer space. Canceling such programs as JIMO in my opinion was ludicrous. Those are the types of technology that's going to allow people to work and stay in space and build a super earth economy involving the Earth, Moon, Mars, orbital outposts at Langrange points and asteroid bases. The question is: how do we make those possible? Constellation as I understood it was never going to make any of those things possible. We don't need more astronauts in space. We need civilians and lots of them.

How do we go about doing that? Well we have spent the last 100 years or so trying to squeeze ever bit of performance out of chemical rockets. I suspect we are not going to squeeze an order of magnitude better performance out of them any time soon. Ares1 reliance on 1000 years old solid rocket technology is just not the way to go. We have some technology already in the wings, we need to boost those, if not to reduce the actual cost of going to space, then to allow us to quickly boost not only people but cargo at a rapid rate in a transport system that doesn't throw billions of dollars away in expendable rockets.

I was upset, that Charlie Bolden did not better express to Congress the advantages of the "flexible path" and the ramp up in investments in the technologies that would be allowed by the "flexible path". We are too caught up in the fact that NASA needs to have some very specific object in space to go to at some very specific time. I'm going to draw a lot of flack here and say that Kennedy did us an injustice by setting us on a path to the moon at the time he did with the technology available and non existent space infrastructure at the time. It pretty much guaranteed the position we are in now. The better approach I think would have been to scale our progress progressively to orbit, then onto orbital space stations (space infrastructure) and then on to the moon. Getting the infrastructure in place is critical to anything that we are trying to do. If we don't have the right tools to do the job, we might still get it done but it's going to take longer and add significant costs.

What Bolden, Holdren and NASA staffers should be telling congress and the rest of America is simple.

Constellation, meant one thing and one thing only. Only NASA goverment/employees would be going to the moon and maybe Mars in the next 30 years if not longer. The only destination would be the moon because flying Orion anywhere for any length of time was not a designed in feature. What the flexible path allows are the following:

1) An investment in enabling technologies that will allow NASA to pick and choice any destination it wants to go in the inner solar system with a manned vehicle, whether the Moon, Mars, Asteroids, Langrange points or where ever.

This would be akin to getting in your car and knowing you can go to any of destination in range. No one builds the car to go to X destination, but they build it to go X miles and any destination within that reach.

2) Invest in private/commercial companies so that they can build multiple redundant launch vehicles at reduced cost which will expand the industrial base and the economy.

The gloat factor: while Russia or China or anyone else has to rely on government programs to get them to space, we would have advanced so far that we can allow mere private companies to do what other countries need governments to do. If that does not indicate American prowess and leadership in space, I'm not sure what else will. I think that indicates more prowess than another flags and bootprints missions to the moon.

3) The inspiration angle. The critical thing here is getting the technological base, and the research and
development programs moving forward again so that a significant amount of people can participate and benefit while growing the economy at large.

My most galling concern with Constellation, is that only a select few people will ever get to set foot on the Moon under it's umbrella. People like you and me or our kids and grand kids would just be spectators of the show. With development in technologies any one can have their ego stroke by getting involve in those new enabling technologies that will launch more people to LEO, Moon and beyond. I think the space program will get a lot more support if more people believe they personally have the opportunity to go. The way to do that is to develop the enabling technology to allow it to happen.

W

Woggles

starfhury":12aptz6j said:
I'm going to draw a lot of flack here and say that Kennedy did us an injustice by setting us on a path to the moon at the time he did with the technology available and non existent space infrastructure at the time. It pretty much guaranteed the position we are in now.

Hi starfhury. I don't disagree with anything you have said here, in fact I agree with most of your argument. Your statement is well composed and to the point. I quote this part from your post to not take issue; just I don't believe that is was an injustice. Cancelling the program so early was IMO. If the program was allow to continue, we would have most of the technology to explore our solar system today. I believe private enterprise would already be doing the every day trip to LEO.

V

voyager4d

Yes, it seems a lot of people are stuck in the past. They keep going back to the Kennedy story, and think that is the only way to do a space program. They want a vision like that, and will not accept anything less.
But you can’t have a vision, which says we are going to the moon no mater the cost, when you don’t have enough money to do that. Constellation was from the beginning a dead end, it doesn’t make sense to build 2 rockets, witch have the highest price-to-weight-ratio in the world, and expect to have a good program.
They have to stop shouting after a big dump booster, because that is not the best way to do it.

The vision should just be “We need to become a space faring nation”. Not we need to go to the Moon or to Mars, not mater the cost.

And the most important thing about becoming a space faring nation is to make access to space cheaper, so we can do more for less money and more people get the change to go there.

Just use the commercial rockets, and help them to make access to space cheaper, by having high fly rate, and improve processes to make turnaround time smaller and personal low.

At some point the commercial rockets will become bigger to get price-to-weight-rate down, but they need to do it in small steps.

Conclusion, NASA should not use all its energy and money to build 2 expensive rockets, they should concentrate helping to make access to space cheaper and to evolve the technology (High longevity rocket engines, on-orbit propellant transfer, long-term on-orbit propellant storage, space tugs, in-Situ Resource Utilization etc.).

N

neutrino78x

So, I had another question, with Obama's current plan, if approved by Congress, would we still pay/depend on the Russians? Or would the idea be that SpaceX et al would have commercial crew services before we would need to do that?

--Brian

M

menellom

neutrino78x":29a4xoyj said:
So, I had another question, with Obama's current plan, if approved by Congress, would we still pay/depend on the Russians? Or would the idea be that SpaceX et al would have commercial crew services before we would need to do that?

Yes, but depending on how successful commercial companies are it might not be for very long. SpaceX and similar companies could (optimistically of course) be flying crewed missions in two to three years... that's still a long time but it's way better than the six, seven, eight years we might have to wait for Ares I to be finished.

E

edkyle99

menellom":22ifv3bk said:
neutrino78x":22ifv3bk said:

Yes, but depending on how successful commercial companies are it might not be for very long. SpaceX and similar companies could (optimistically of course) be flying crewed missions in two to three years... that's still a long time but it's way better than the six, seven, eight years we might have to wait for Ares I to be finished.

The Augustine Committee estimated it would be 2016, at the very earliest, before a "commercial" provider would be ready to support crewed launches. The same committee estimated that Ares/Orion would have been ready only one year later, but that extra year would have bought a system capable of lifting 2-3 times more payload than the proposed "commercial" alternatives that have yet to even be defined, let alone competed.

So yes, NASA is going to depend on Russia for the foreseeable future.

- Ed Kyle

K

kelvinzero

edkyle99":3jq9ylc8 said:
menellom":3jq9ylc8 said:
The Augustine Committee estimated it would be 2016, at the very earliest, before a "commercial" provider would be ready to support crewed launches. The same committee estimated that Ares/Orion would have been ready only one year later, but that extra year would have bought a system capable of lifting 2-3 times more payload than the proposed "commercial" alternatives that have yet to even be defined, let alone competed.

- Ed Kyle

Depends what you mean by depend. It will depend on russia for moving people to and from the ISS. What actually would be affected if Russia threw a hissy fit? Certainly certain experiments done on the ISS. It wont hamper unmanned missions, it wont hamper ISRU research, it wont hamper the development of new american launch systems, in fact it would be a massive win for them if this happened.

The big loser of russia throwing a hissy fit would be russia, some american national pride, some theories about international cooperation and some scientists relying on ISS results. America would simply move money from worthy experiments on the ISS to worthy experiments in other areas.

V

Valcan

kelvinzero":159j4wmp said:
edkyle99":159j4wmp said:
menellom":159j4wmp said:

- Ed Kyle

Depends what you mean by depend. It will depend on russia for moving people to and from the ISS. What actually would be affected if Russia threw a hissy fit? Certainly certain experiments done on the ISS. It wont hamper unmanned missions, it wont hamper ISRU research, it wont hamper the development of new american launch systems, in fact it would be a massive win for them if this happened.

The big loser of russia throwing a hissy fit would be russia, some american national pride, some theories about international cooperation and some scientists relying on ISS results. America would simply move money from worthy experiments on the ISS to worthy experiments in other areas.
:roll:
Heck what more do they want the ISS is in a bad orbit simply for politics.

E

edkyle99

kelvinzero":jvsmevlv said:
edkyle99":jvsmevlv said:
menellom":jvsmevlv said:

All of the ISS partners would lose. I don't see Russia cutting off access - that would be counterproductive - but Russia will control access and will, as a result, be able to raise prices to charge whatever the "market" can bear.

- Ed Kyle

R

rockett

True this notion is at the edge of reason, but people have historically done stupider things: The Russians (or Chinese for that matter) could simply hijack the station. And we couldn't do anything about it.

Maybe NASA needs to feed the new kids on the block (commercial space) more to accelerate their progress, and expedite things for them to get off the ground. They seem to be accelerating development faster than NASA did with Constellation as it is. Just think how far along they would be if they had even a fraction of what NASA has spent on Constellation to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts